Task scheduler suddenly stops firing on Monday
I have set up tasks to be run in task scheduler at 5 different times each day - I have added two more tasks to send me an email each day, once in the morning and one in the evening to check that the scheduler is still firing. These all run fine until Monday morning when they stop firing. If I re-boot the server on Mon they start up again and run fine for the rest of the week. I have tried re-booting the server on Sun and the email sheduled to be sent on Sunday evening is sent so proving that the task scheduler is running after the re-boot - however the email on Monday morning, after this re-boot, did not get sent. The Server is running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise without HyperV. Similar tasks have been running without problems on our old server that was running Windows 2000 server. I can see no reason for this to be happening. Can anyone shed light on why this happening and how to remedy the problem as the tasks are important to the operation of the server/business? Andrew von Kimmelmann
December 13th, 2010 5:57am

can you explain better how does your server send those scheduled mail ?Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft MVP Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator edo[at]mvps[dot]org
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 13th, 2010 9:14am

I have set up a task within scheduler that sends emails as part of the task setup, I chose, send an email instead of running a program - this was done as I was afraid that due to the scheduler not being used over the weekend it may sleep and not wake up properly Monday morning. I decided to send a very simple email saying the scheduler was running. I set it with the same parameters as the other tasks in respect of being logged in or not and other tabs set as per the other tasks I had set up. The only thing different was the action to be taken which was to send an email instead of running an exe program. As I said above the scheduler runs fine every day of the week. It is only Monday morning that no tasks run and the only way to get them to fire again is to re-boot the server (not a good practice but the only one that gets the tasks to start running again). Even re-setting the tasks within the scheduler does not get the scheduler to start firing again. Also I cannot re-start the service without a re-boot as the service is grayed out for stop/pause and re-start. Andrew von Kimmelmann
December 13th, 2010 9:40am

which settings do you have in tab "Settings" under advanced properties of that scheduled task ?Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft MVP Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator edo[at]mvps[dot]org
December 14th, 2010 5:33am

I have the following options ticked: Allow task to be run on demand. Stop the task if it runs longer than 3 days If the running task does not end when requested force it to stop In the conditions tab I have only the following ticked: Start the task only if the computer is on AC power and the sub from this Stop if the computer switches to battery power.Andrew von Kimmelmann
December 14th, 2010 5:55am

that task is scheduled daily ?Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft MVP Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator edo[at]mvps[dot]org
December 14th, 2010 6:47am

Yes. I have 5 similar tasks that are scheduled to run Mon-Fri at the same time each day. 11am,12 noon, 16:15, 16:45 and 17:30. I added the email tasks to run at 7am and 18:00 with the same conditions etc but the emails also are run sat and sun. All these run fine by the schedule until Monday morning when the tasks fail to fire.Andrew von Kimmelmann
December 14th, 2010 7:05am

can you delete and re-create that scheduled task ?Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft MVP Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator edo[at]mvps[dot]org
December 16th, 2010 6:25am

Sorry for the delay in answering. Yes, I can delete and re-create the scheduled tasks. They run fine till the Monday morning when they stop. I have in the past weeks re-saved the scheduled task, deleted and re-created it or created a complete new task and scheduled it for the same time and each time they work fine until the change of week/Monday.Andrew von Kimmelmann
December 20th, 2010 7:49am

what happens if you schedule a job simply "daily" that run evry day of the week even saturday and sunday ?Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft MVP Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator edo[at]mvps[dot]org
December 20th, 2010 11:14am

I did that with an email task scheduled as I have said in an earlier reply. I have set a schedule to send an email to me with just the subject and the content as "Scheduler is running" this runs at 7am and 18:00 each day Mon - Sun. The schedule runs fine but again it fails to fire at 7am Monday morning unless I have re-booted the server before 7am.Andrew von Kimmelmann
December 20th, 2010 11:25am

if you don't reboot the server and scheduled job can't send mail, what is the result code of last execution ? if you schedule daily a job that does something else instead of sending mail what happens ?Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft MVP Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator edo[at]mvps[dot]org
December 20th, 2010 11:38am

I do not know what the result code of the last execution is. I will look next Monday. I have other tasks scheduled which was why I started this thread in the first place. Exactly the same thing occurs - the schedule fires every day as scheduled (11am, 12 noon, 16:15, 16:45 and 17:30 Mon - Fri) and they all work fine until Monday morning. If I do not re-boot they will not fire again.Andrew von Kimmelmann
December 20th, 2010 11:47am

don't you set an "end date" of scheduled task, isn't it ?Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft MVP Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator edo[at]mvps[dot]org
December 21st, 2010 8:47am

No there are no end dates set as I want the tasks to run perpetually. The only date that is stored with the task is the start date which defaults to the date that the task is set-up in the scheduler unless the user wants to set-up a task to start in the future. I enter no other dates when the tasks were set-up.Andrew von Kimmelmann
December 21st, 2010 9:23am

I suggest you to read, next monday, result code of scheduled job after first execution failed. I read here next monday. Merry XmasEdoardo Benussi - Microsoft MVP Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator edo[at]mvps[dot]org
December 21st, 2010 10:18am

OK will do. Happy Xmas to you to.Andrew von Kimmelmann
December 21st, 2010 10:32am

This same problem is being discussed on this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverManagement/thread/28adff3f-7d08-4301-8337-50454679578a?prof=required We used a Scheduled Task that runs every 30 minutes to narrow it down to between 7:30pm and 8pm on Sundays is when it stops working, which appears to fit into your failure window, too. After 7:30, the Task engine properly shuts down and just stops showing any new Event ID 107s: Task triggered on scheduler. The only thing that kicks off before I RDP into the machine and reboot is this: Event ID 319: Task Engine "S-1-5-19:NT AUTHORITY\LocalService:Service:" received a message from Task Scheduler service requesting to launch task "\Microsoft\Windows\RAC\RACAgent" . (and associated Event IDs to this GUID) I then went back to the Sunday before last, and confirmed that after 7:30, this RACAgent and the task below are the only things successfully running until I reboot the pc: Task Engine "S-1-5-21-2322553255-2971095262-607001529-5664:CORP\herce:Interactive:[2]" received a message from Task Scheduler service requesting to launch task "\Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\UserTask" . I'm hoping this information is helpful somehow... Regards, Rey Herce
December 29th, 2010 2:22pm

many thanks for link.Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft MVP Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi Windows Server Italian Forum Moderator edo[at]mvps[dot]org
December 30th, 2010 3:57am

Hi Rey, Thanks for the link. Exactly my problem but there does not seem to be anyone who can answer why it is occuring. Can it not be escalated up the support chain as it seems to be inherent in Windows server 2008 and not other OS of the same breed. As I have said before I have similar scheduled tasks running under earlier windows server os without this problem. It seems very strange that the scheduler fails only between Sun evening and Monday and at no other time during the week.Andrew von Kimmelmann
December 31st, 2010 12:41pm

Hi Andrew, We have gone back and forth internally about if and when to call MS Support on this issue. At least one person thinks we should just rebuild the server, but the fact that more than one group is reporting the same issue on different iterations of the same OS encourages me to see this issue through to resolution. Because the problem occurs only on Sundays and then goes away after a reboot, it has taken a very long while to get to this point of a) narrowing down the issue to a specific time frame and b) ruling out other possibilities such as re-saving all our scheduled tasks and checking all settings are correct. It's very likely that MS Support would probably have us go through the same lengthy steps if we called earlier. We currently have both locations where "Stop task if runs longer than" turned off and are hoping it resolves our issue, as another gentleman on this thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverManagement/thread/28adff3f-7d08-4301-8337-50454679578a?prof=required suggested it resolved their problem. If the problem still occurs this coming Sunday, we are going to finally give MS Support a call. -Rey
January 7th, 2011 2:02pm

Hi Rey, Thanks for this - if it does not work I have found a work around which worked for me yesterday. I scheduled a re-boot of my server at 18:50 which seems to have got the task scheduler to work correctly again. Not the best solution but it has allowed the tasks I set up for after 19:00 Sunday to complete and my original tasks that run Monday morning to fire and work as required. I await your testing results re turning off "Stop task ..." etc Andrew Andrew von Kimmelmann
January 10th, 2011 5:02am

The "Stop Tasks" check boxes have been unchecked in all locations and we continue to have a problem. We have submitted a ticket to MS Support, this is progressing very slowly. For now, we have logs submitted to MS and have a scheduled task set to reboot the server on Sundays. Once we get a resolution with MS, I will update the forum! Regards, Rey Herce
January 18th, 2011 2:12pm

Hi Rey, Thanks for the heads up. The scheduled re-boot has been working fine for me over the last 2 weeks. I have it set to run at 18:50 which finishes just before 19:00 - last week's showed a re-boot finish time of 18:57 and all scheduled tasks have been working all week. Regards AndrewAndrew von Kimmelmann
January 19th, 2011 5:54am

We had EXACTLY the same "Sunday" issue and found a post from 6th December which resolved it today. See http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserver2008appcompatabilityandcertification/thread/6fa3c7fa-511b-498d-9b37-1201e1ff2e59 As per my post there, the MOMENT I did what they said (disabling the Windows Live SOXE task), our seemingly queued tasks all leapt into life (somewhat inconveniently as it happens) and needed "End"ing. See if it works for you. David
January 25th, 2011 11:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics