Task scheduler off and greyed out in Server 2008. Cannot turn on

Have a Dell PE2900, 2 ES405 @ 2.0GHz processors, 24 gig ram running Server 2008 Standard 64, SP2, one of our DCs, that the Task Scheduler service has greyed out and turned off.  Have tried all I can think of and read about to correct but still no go.

Does not matter if I go in as administrator in safe mode or not the ability to turn on task schedular is not an option. 

Short of Decoming it and reloading, any Ideas?

Addendum:

Found a regedit  @ http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/winserversecurity/thread/B9E5A4C0-073C-42FD-A390-8B2AEE407A4F

"1. Open up your regedit
2. Navigate to this location
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Schedule
3. Find the DWORD called start, change its value from 2 to 4."

That I adapted changed the 4 to 2

Now getting

"Windows could not start the Task Scheduler service on te Local computer

Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

Registry @ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM|CurrentController\Services\Schedule\    shows a NextAtJobID  Reg_Dword 0x00000002 (2)  This does not match other DC which has it as 0x00000001 (1)

In service properties logon tab allis grayed but is set to log on as Local system account and is showing a Hardware profile of Undocked Profile with Service Enabled.  These also do not match second DC but donot know how to or IF I need to change.

Sill futzed.  Still hoping for an answer

May 21st, 2010 3:50pm

What were the errors before the reghack?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 22nd, 2010 3:17pm

Hi,

Here are some suggestions:

1. Scan for virus incase it is disabled by virus.

2. Check if dependencies services are enabled, including DCOM Server Process Launcher, RPC Endpoint Mapper and Windows Event log.

3. You can try to backup the key (...\Services\Schedule), delete it and get one from other Windows 2008 64bit SP2 system as a test.

• Marked as answer by bvcomputers Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:10 PM
May 24th, 2010 8:08am

Hi,

Here are some suggestions:

1. Scan for virus incase it is disabled by virus.

2. Check if dependencies services are enabled, including DCOM Server Process Launcher, RPC Endpoint Mapper and Windows Event log.

3. You can try to backup the key (...\Services\Schedule), delete it and get one from other Windows 2008 64bit SP2 system as a test.

This worked to a point.  Task Scheduler is now on and working for all except Backup. There it just shuts itself completely off as soon as you attempt to set a backup.  Going to post as separate item.
May 26th, 2010 3:12pm

I too had this problem whereby it was disabled on our Citrix XenApp 6 base image which i wanted to run windows update on, it would download but wouldnt install.  So changed the reg key from 4 to 2 as mentioned above which changed it from Grayed out to being able to click the start button for the service now, but it would not start, came up with the :-

Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Tried all number of things, like reg imports etc, key changes but would not work, then found this :-

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/disabled-services-t1476536.html

Which states that the task scheduler is one of the services that if its been disabled this way needs a reboot to get it to start, so rebooted my server and as if by magic the service started!

Phew

August 4th, 2011 11:54pm

Thanks, DMMc59. I had the same problem. Changing 4 to 2 and restarting fixed it.

November 6th, 2013 10:10pm

I'm not sure which number corresponds to which (I think 4 means "Disabled") but I swapped the service from "Automatic" to "Disabled" and back to "Automatic" and then it started successfully without a reboot.
July 17th, 2015 6:09pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics