Task Scheduler 0xC0000142 Run Result on WS2008R2

Hi Everyone, 

We're running a good amount of scheduled task on our Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit, 15.5 GB) and they run without a problem most of the time. However, every now and then without any prior warning they start failing and all start throwing an 0xC0000142 error code on Last Run Result. 

We tried looking it up in the forum, but the closest we found was this article: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/d59e1f38-f565-4a3d-8e37-6b2a8c2a5e91/task-scheduler-failures, which isn't applicable since we assigned all our tasks to the Administrator. 

We also noticed that this issue normally starts happening when there's a Windows Update pending restart on the machine, although this is not always the case as today there's no issues on the server at all, despite of which the tasks failed.

We started monitoring the history of the tasks, but there's nothing notable there. All tasks have the usual Task triggered on scheduler (107), Task Engine received message to start task (319), Task Started (100), Action started (200), Created Task Process (129), Action completed (201), Task completed (102) order, no error in any of these. 

We also tried forcing the restart of the event in case of an error, but that doesn't work either for some unknown reason. 

Any help would be appreciated. Not sure if it's a known bug at all, but hope someone can help us. 

Many thanks in advance.

July 21st, 2014 6:04am

Hi Gopi,

Many thanks for the pointer. Our Windows SharedSection is set to 1024,20480,768. I'm presuming I need to increase the non-interactive desktop heap (3rd value), but wondering if it's possible to put it up to e.g. 1024 when everyone else's talking about 512 max?

Any ideas?

(I'd rather not ask this in the other thread as that's about 4 years old now..)

Thanks,

Army

July 22nd, 2014 6:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics