Task Scheduler - Can't Send Email
I can't seem to get the email alert working from Event Viewer on Windows 2008. From an event, we selected "Attach Task To This Event" from the context menu and completed the wizard which ended up creating a scheduled task. Unfortunately, when we intentionally offlined a service, it did not trigger an email alert. The history of the task showed: 202, Action Failed, Run Failure. The general tab showed: Task Scheduler failed to complete task "\Event Viewer Tasks\System_Service Control Manager_7036" , instance "{de23f633-a531-4f21-815e-52630c7fccce}" , action "This is a test. Spooler Stopped! Test Test" . Additional Data: Error Value: 2147746321. What is this 2147746321? Server is Windows 2008 SP2 (non-R2) and is joined into a domain. The job is set to run w/out the user having to be logged in, with highest privs and this account is designated as a local admin to that server. The email is routed thru our Exch 2007 Hub servers. Unfortunately, the Exch logs showed that the message never even hit Exch. As a test, from this server, I ran a manual telnet into the Hub on 25, and was able to send a test message from that local host. So connectivity into Exch from that server is good. For good measure, we turned off UAC as well and still the same result. Has anyone come across this before? Thanks, -Dave
February 1st, 2011 9:25am

Hi Dave, The following articles might be helpful: Event ID 202 — Task Monitoring and Control http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775089(WS.10).aspx Troubleshooting Task Scheduler http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721846.aspx If the problem continues, please let use know which SMTP server you are using and if it is a Windows SMTP. Regards, BruceThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 2nd, 2011 3:06am

Bruce: The error codes listed in your first link looked like they were in hex. I converted my error number (2147746321) to hex (0x80040211) and the resulting number did not match up to any codes listed. The second link asked me to confirm my SMTP settings but they are already correct. As for the SMTP details you requested, we pointed the Event Viewer task to our Exchange 2007 Hub. Locally on the server that is running the Event Viewer task, we assume it has its own native engine to generate the email as there are no configurable options other than the target SMTP relay. This server and this Exchange Hub are in the same VLAN. When I simulate a message from this server by opening a CMD prompt, doing a telnet into Exchange hub on port 25 and then issuing the manual telnet commands, I am able to send the message so connectivity into Exchange is good. The problem is when the Event Viewer task tries sending, it fails. Funny thing is, doing bing/google searches, I see others experiencing the same issue but no resolution seems to be posted in any forum. I have tried configuring the task to send via the hub's hostname and its IP address. The local McAfee software is not conflicting with the transmission either. Again, while not best practice, internally, our Exchange does not require internal senders to be authenticated. But I tried using real account with a mailbox and that also failed. I've tried also using a hub server from a different site and the same poor result. The server has UAC turned off (now) and for kicks we even had the job run with highest privs. What does 2147746321 mean? Thanks, -Dave
February 2nd, 2011 10:06am

Hi Dave, Are you still stuck with the issue ?, the error value is for advance troubleshooting and would be helpful if we have the source code, from an external user you can ignore that.
April 26th, 2011 12:53am

Hi dave, I think you will give this permission on exchange default connector. can you try it? Get-ReceiveConnector default* | Add-ADPermission -User domainname\user -ExtendedRights "ms-Exch-SMTP-Accept-Any-Sender" And check defaut recive connector integreted windows authenticaiton check box is enabled. There is no human readable explanation in the data telling us why the email wasn’t sent. But there is an error value. 2147746321 (0×80040211). I had no idea what that value actually meant so I ran it through Microsoft’s Err.exe application which is able to resolve error values on Windows. The output of Err.exe looked like this: C:\Users\morgan\Downloads\Err\Err>err 2147746321 # for decimal -2147220975 / hex 0×80040211 : CDO_E_SMTP_SEND_FAILED cdosyserr.h And i tried this i can send email. thanx. Ersal OZ.
June 24th, 2011 9:33am

Sainath: I actually gave up on this and we now use a scheduled task job to run logparser every 5 minutes to check for the last 5 mins worth of Event Viewer logs and if certain keywords are found, it just uses sendEmail.exe to send an alert email routed thru our Exchange... Ersal: Thank you for your assistance - but unfortunately for us, those settings are already configured against Exchange as we do not require authentication for internal relaying. -Dave
June 30th, 2011 7:33am

If anyone else has any luck, I've got the same problem. There seems to be quite a few people on Google with the issue but without any real solutions. The mail server in question for me is not Exchange but my ISP's one; but I know that they do accept anonymous mail (well, at least if the email originated from my subnet). I've got other software on this network that sends mail to that server okay without authentication. I'd rather not use any custom third party software if I don't need to (ironically because I figure that solution would be more likely to break).
July 2nd, 2011 9:45am

I am having the same problem as well. I am trying to send an email when a certain event is logged in Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard with SP1. In Task Scheduler, the task has a column named "Last Run Result and it has (0x80040211) under it. The History tab has error event 202 for every time it has run and the info for this event says "Additional Data: Error Value: 2147746321."
July 14th, 2011 4:55pm

I solved the 0x80040211 and event id 202 on a windows 2008 server sending emails by scheduled tasks by configuring the sender address "FROM" to the same account as the scheduled task run account. When couldn't send emails if the AD account by which the scheduled task was running differs from the emailaddress in the "FROM" field. The emailaddress belongs to the AD account.
July 26th, 2011 5:47am

Adrian_ITSM, thanks for sharing your solution. Is the above a limitation? If so, its not clearly documented anywhere. MS, what about on a server that isn't connected to Active Directory and/or where the accounts don't have an email address associated with it?
August 9th, 2011 1:44pm

See this thread - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/f087c57c-57b8-4c7f-ba2a-feb04c51f5ba
September 11th, 2011 9:15am

I have tried using two non-Microsoft Exchange email servers and got the exact same error/event as Dave the OP. Microsoft should not assume everyone uses Microsoft Exchange.
November 14th, 2011 2:28pm

I use the send a e-mail task on a lot of servers. I have 2 standalone servers where i have to relay true the service provider. On one provider the mail is send without a problem, conected true another provider it just won't work and ik receive the error "Last Run Result and it has (0x80040211)"
December 17th, 2011 3:56am

I solved the 0x80040211 and event id 202 on a windows 2008 server sending emails by scheduled tasks by configuring the sender address "FROM" to the same account as the scheduled task run account. When couldn't send emails if the AD account by which the scheduled task was running differs from the emailaddress in the "FROM" field. The emailaddress belongs to the AD account. This worked for me as my task was running under a domain account on a domain server.
February 23rd, 2012 7:33pm

I am unable to receive the mail, although I can tell from my mail server logs that Windows is trying to deliver them. In my case, the issue the fact that my mail server is configured to NOT require SMTP authentication. However, the task is sending auth login details to the SMTP server. If a mail client sends an auth login request when it is not required, it is the equivalent of providing the wrong password. I'm guessing no one has found any SMTP configuration options for this hidden in a registry, huh?
March 14th, 2012 1:00pm

I have resolved the issue by setting the scheduled task to run under the 'system' account. Try that and see if it resolves your issue.
March 27th, 2012 8:39am

This worked like a charm for me. Thanks eggergizer.
August 15th, 2012 7:44am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics