Task Manager is using excessive CPU time
I have Windows Server 2003 running as a VM using VMware and running Softshare ECS. Task Manager shows that it is utilizing 50% - 99% and the system is running very slowly even when Task Manager is not running so I suspect some kind of malware. Allocation: 1 CPU, 8Gb RAM, (physical server IBM System 3550 w/ dual Xeon X5450 @ 3.00Ghz and 20Gb RAM) I have run Kaspersky AV and Malware Bytes and have come up clean. I also tried a clean boot and when I launched Task Manager it was using 50-54% of CPU time while the idle process had the remainder. I also disabled Kaspersky since it has caused issues in the past. This also made no difference. Another issue that may be related is that the ECS service will not start automatically as it should, it times out and I have to manually start the service. Any suggestions? -CD
March 10th, 2011 2:39pm

I have Windows Server 2003 running as a VM using VMware and running Softshare ECS. Task Manager shows that it is utilizing 50% - 99% and the system is running very slowly even when Task Manager is not running so I suspect some kind of malware. Allocation: 1 CPU, 8Gb RAM, (physical server IBM System 3550 w/ dual Xeon X5450 @ 3.00Ghz and 20Gb RAM) I have run Kaspersky AV and Malware Bytes and have come up clean. I also tried a clean boot and when I launched Task Manager it was using 50-54% of CPU time while the idle process had the remainder. I also disabled Kaspersky since it has caused issues in the past. This also made no difference. Another issue that may be related is that the ECS service will not start automatically as it should, it times out and I have to manually start the service. Any suggestions? -CD
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 10th, 2011 2:40pm

Hi, Would you please clarify what uses excessive CPU time, VMware, Softshare ECS, Task Manager or Svchost.exe? Based on the current situation, please perform a test in Clean Boot to check if there is any third party software conflicts. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 Would you please send me more information for analyzing. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=97e47b86-d202-4f98-9055-7b166cdad2b7 Password: XtQzs3r5+ic Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding. 1. Please download the Process Explorer at 2. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx 2. Extract the zip file and double click the procexp.exe file. 3. Reproduce the issue, and then please highlight the highlight the problematic program in Process Explorer. 4. From the View menu, please point to "Lower Pane view" and select DLLs. 5. From the File menu, please select Save to save the dll list to a txt file such as IEDll.txt. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
March 11th, 2011 4:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics