TSWeb access from Linux

Hi,

We have installed Terminal Services in Windows 2008 R2 system. Now, we have 300 clients in the network (Xp,Vista, W7, Linux and MAC). Are there some possibility to access with tsweb in linux clients? it is possible with Opera or Firefox?

Thanks!

February 1st, 2011 1:13pm

Unfortunately it's not possible because RemoteApps (new Windows 2008 feature) require Remote Desktop Client version 6.1 and as I know in the Internet you can find something similar to RDC for Linux (open app) but it's compatibile with previous RDC veriosn as 5.x and 6.0 but not 6.1

If you will find any app which supports (is compatible with) RDC 6.1 you will be able to use RemoteApps from Linux clients, if not, I'm sorry, you are unable to do that.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2011 1:23pm

Hi iSiek:

Thanks for your answer. If I was understand good, there are two problems with the linux clients:

1. The web browsers in Linux (Firefox, Opera, etc..) can't open RemoteApps because it is based in ActiveX Component.

2. There aren't any app Client in Linux that supports RDC 6.1 version.

It is ok?

Thanks!

February 1st, 2011 1:45pm

only the second is correct :) because RemoteApps are not based on ActiveX component

They work using Remote Desktop Client

February 1st, 2011 1:49pm

TS Web Access requires Internet Explorer and ActiveX.  Not a Linux or Mac guru, but I've tested both with TS Web Access and custom RDP app file configuration.  Neither work.  Quick solution for Linux is a VPN session, then an RDP session.   I believe the documentation for TS Web Access specifies minimum OS of Win XP SP3 and IE 7.0.  If there is a working scenario for Mac or Linux configurations, please do share.  Thanks.

February 1st, 2011 2:54pm

Hi,

Thanks iSiek and Fuel451.

I think TSWeb requires Internet Explorer and it not work in Linux with Firefox or Opera. If someone know one scenario to be funcional, please, tell us about it.

February 3rd, 2011 7:23am

Nope, generally that's not true, TSWeb works with IE, FirefoX web browsers (tested by me) :) but to be able to run any RemoteApp you need to have Remote Desktop Client which is compatible with RDC 6.1 in Windows and as I know that version is ONLY in Windows :]

So, you cannot run RemoteApps on Linux servers, because of missing RDC not IE :)

@update: And of course, if you wish to use Remote Desktop within TS/RD Web Access, you need IE to support ActiveX

@update2: My mistake ;) TSWeb works itself but do not display any shared apps :) So, IE and RDC are required to work with RemoteApps :) Sorry for inconvenience. 

February 3rd, 2011 8:42am

Dear Aelbaz,

It is posible to use RDP from other OS's on the 2008 R2 system, below:

Evry browser can see the https://example.com/tsweb (you can activate this in IIS; (most secure is with a SSL Certificate).

Only in other browsers then MSIE (Microsoft Internet Explorer); Like Mozila Firefox (this one i'am sure), you can download something like an ‘‘ADD ON’’ for Microsoft; As example this calls like Microsoft ‘‘ADD ON’’.

And i'am 100% sure of this.

Regards,
IDF

July 10th, 2011 12:11pm

Hi,

Check it out this. it says how to access RD web in Ubuntu.

http://microsoftvm.blogspot.in/2015/04/rd-web-and-rd-gateway-through-ubuntu.html

April 8th, 2015 12:02am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics