TRIGGERS DOESN'T WORK

Hello everyone

This is my first experience with triggers. So I used "INSTEAD OF" to check if the line to be inserted in the column is greater than 1000 or it adds error line in my error table, but I get an error this error:

Msg 8101, Level 16, State 1, Procedure TR_CHECKMONEY, Line 9
An explicit value of the table's identity column 'CFCO_TRANSACTION' can be specified if the column list is used and IDENTITY_INSERT is ON.

Here is my table struture

USE [TEST_ME]
GO

/****** Object:  Table [dbo].[CFCO_TRANSACTION]    Script Date: 07/24/2015 17:40:26 ******/
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[CFCO_TRANSACTION](
	[ID_TRANSAC] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
	[COST_PAID] [float] NOT NULL,
	[PHONE_NUMBER] [decimal](9, 0) NOT NULL,
	[MONEY_TRANSAC] [decimal](10, 0) NOT NULL,
	[TOTAL_TRANSAC] [money] NULL,
	[TRANSAC_STATUS] [tinyint] NULL,
	[WHEN_DATE] [datetime] NULL,
 CONSTRAINT [PK_CFCO_TRANSACTION] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED 
(
	[ID_TRANSAC] ASC
)WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY],
 CONSTRAINT [IX_CFCO_TRANSACTION_MONEY_TRANSAC] UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED 
(
	[MONEY_TRANSAC] ASC
)WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[CFCO_TRANSACTION] ADD  CONSTRAINT [DF_CFCO_TRANSACTION_TRANSAC_STATUS]  DEFAULT ((0)) FOR [TRANSAC_STATUS]
GO

and here is my T-SQL

CREATE TRIGGER TR_CHECKMONEY ON CFCO_TRANSACTION
INSTEAD OF INSERT
AS 
DECLARE @COST_PAID FLOAT
SET @COST_PAID=(SELECT COST_PAID FROM inserted)
SET @COST_PAID=(SELECT COST_PAID FROM CFCO_TRANSACTION WHERE COST_PAID=(SELECT COST_PAID FROM inserted))
IF @COST_PAID>1000
BEGIN
	INSERT INTO CFCO_TRANSACTION
	SELECT * FROM CFCO_TRANSACTION
END
ELSE 
BEGIN
INSERT INTO CFCO_LOGS_ERROR (LOGS) VALUES ('ERROR THE COST SHOULD BE UP TO 1000')
END

July 24th, 2015 11:51am

Hello everyone

This is my first experience with triggers. So I used "INSTEAD OF" to check if the line to be inserted in the column is greater than 1000 or it adds error line in my error table, but I get an error this error:

An explicit value of the table's identity column 'CFCO_TRANSACTION' can be specified if the column list is used and IDENTITY_INSERT is ON.

USE [TEST_ME]
GO

/****** Object:  Table [dbo].[CFCO_TRANSACTION]    Script Date: 07/24/2015 17:40:26 ******/
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO

(
	[ID_TRANSAC] ASC
)WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY],
(
	[MONEY_TRANSAC] ASC
)WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[CFCO_TRANSACTION] ADD  CONSTRAINT [DF_CFCO_TRANSACTION_TRANSAC_STATUS]  DEFAULT ((0)) FOR [TRANSAC_STATUS]
GO

and here is my T-SQL

INSTEAD OF INSERT
AS 
DECLARE @COST_PAID FLOAT
SET @COST_PAID=(SELECT COST_PAID FROM CFCO_TRANSACTION WHERE COST_PAID=(SELECT COST_PAID FROM inserted))
IF @COST_PAID>1000
BEGIN
END
ELSE 
BEGIN
INSERT INTO CFCO_LOGS_ERROR (LOGS) VALUES ('ERROR THE COST SHOULD BE UP TO 1000')
END

You're problem is here in the trigger:

You need to specify the columns when doing the insert. This is because you have an identity column. Also a BIG problem is that you have no WHERE so you're attempting to insert the entire table into itself.

Try something more like this:

INSTEAD OF INSERT
AS 
DECLARE @COST_PAID FLOAT
IF @COST_PAID>1000
BEGIN
	INSERT INTO CFCO_TRANSACTION (COST_PAID, PHONE_NUMBER, MONEY_TRANSAC, TOTAL_TRANSAC, TRANSAC_STATUS,WHEN_DATE)
	SELECT * FROM inserted
END
ELSE 
BEGIN
END

Here is an example you can play with in TEMPDB:

USE tempdb
GO
CREATE TABLE myTrgTable (A int identity, b int);
GO
ALTER TRIGGER tr_myTrgTable ON myTrgTable
INSTEAD OF INSERT
AS 
IF EXISTS (SELECT A FROM inserted WHERE B > 1000)
BEGIN
	INSERT INTO myTrgTable (b) 
	SELECT B FROM inserted
END
GO
INSERT INTO myTrgTable (b) VALUES (1001);

SELECT * FROM myTrgTable;
GO
DROP TABLE myTrgTable

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 24th, 2015 11:54am

Hello everyone

USE [TEST_ME]
GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO

(
	[ID_TRANSAC] ASC
(
	[MONEY_TRANSAC] ASC
) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

GO

and here is my T-SQL

INSTEAD OF INSERT
AS 
DECLARE @COST_PAID FLOAT
IF @COST_PAID>1000
BEGIN
END
ELSE 
BEGIN
END

You're problem is here in the trigger:

You need to specify the columns when doing the insert. This is because you have an identity column. Also a BIG problem is that you have no WHERE so you're attempting to insert the entire table into itself.

July 24th, 2015 11:56am

The trigger you wrote makes very little sense and it also has a very common flaw as it can only handle a single row insert.

See this blog post first:

Best Practice: Coding SQL Server triggers for multi-row operations

Please explain the logic of what do you want to do and what do you want to do in case of several rows i

July 24th, 2015 11:57am

I also suggest to not use FLOAT type for the COST_PAID column. Search this forum for 'float', you'll find another explanations of why you should refrain from this type.
July 24th, 2015 12:00pm

(...) to check if the line to be inserted in the column is greater than 1000 

How about replace
by
      [COST_PAID] [float] NOT NULL check (COST_PAID > 1000),

?

July 24th, 2015 1:00pm

(...) to check if the line to be inserted in the column is greater than 1000 

How about replace
by
      [COST_PAID] [float] NOT NULL check (COST_PAID > 1000)
July 24th, 2015 1:08pm

>> This is my first experience with triggers. So I used "INSTEAD OF" to check if the line sic to be inserted in the column is greater than 1000 or it adds error line sic in my error table, but I get an error this error: <<

And it seems to be your first experience with RDBMS and declarative programming , too. We insert sets in SQL, not lines (whatever that is). Because a column  is not a field or line, you can add a constraint to prevent prevent this, instead of trying to catch it later. Are you the carpenter who mops the floor rather than patching the roof? Think about this :)  

>> Here is my table structure <<

Thank you! So many posters have no manners and expect us to read their minds whiel doing their homework. But you have serious, fundamental design errors.

We never use IDENTITY. It is a non-RDBMS left over from Sybase/UNIX that makes no sense. It is how the old file systems guys fake a physical record number instead of using a key and DRI. Mag tape lives! 

We do not use numeric types for identifiers and nominal scales. What math do you do on a phone number? In the US a phone number is 10 digits (NOT a ten place INTEGER). And what doe sit have to do with a transaction? Maybe the data comes over a phone line and that is why you use the word line in this posting?? 

We never, never use MONEY. It roudns too soon and gives the wrong answers! REALLY! Google it. 

We never, never use FLOAT for money. Floating point math has rounding problems that requrie special hardware and software to mitigate. And then it is illegal; read the EU and GAAP rules on financial reporting.

You never read the ISO-11179 rules for naming data elements or took a course on data modeling. The format is <attribute name>_<attribute property>, which means that you should have written transaction_id, etc. 

We do not store totals in a table; that was punch cards and tape files where we had to materialize them rather than keep them virtual like we do in SQL. 

I would have used an abbreviation for the transaction_status encoding, but you must have researched this and have some math you do on this SMALLINT, right??  That was sarcasm; we both know you have put no thought into the data types.  

Without any specs, my guess is that you needed something like this skeleton: 

CREATE TABLE CFCO_Transactions
(cost_amt DECIMAL(10,2) NOT NULL
  CHECK (cost_amt <= 1000.00),
 phone_nbr CHAR(10) NOT NULL, -- why is this here? 
 transaction_amt DECIMAL(10,2) NOT NULL,
  CHECK (<< relation between cost and transaction amt??>> ),
 transaction_status TINYINT DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL
  CHECK(transaction_status IN (.. )),
 transaction_date DATE DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP NOT NULL ); 

See how constraints do most of the work in SQL? 

I know this is your first year with SQL, but your boss failed to get you some basic education. A TRIGGER is procedural code so non-SQL programmers can keep the mindset they had from mag tape files and VB, FORTRAN, et al.  in 35+ years I have written five of them and I know I could avoid at least 3 of them today. 

Switching your mindset from procedural to declarative programming is like trying to speak English with Japanese grammar :(

July 24th, 2015 1:18pm

Sorry but you are not yet ready to work with triggers.  And I would argue that you have much to learn with respect to effective tsql coding. 

So, assuming that your trigger worked, what is the user experience in a situation where the logic jumps into your "error" situation.  When the ELSE logic in your trigger executes, it simply ends after the insert statement.  There is no effort made to notify the user (and more appropriately, to the application used to insert the rows) that the new rows have been ignored.  The application will simply assume that all the rows were successfully inserted.  Since most applications will attempt to refresh their content after a successful database update, the application will expect to find the rows there were inserted - which don't actually exists because of your trigger.  Then what? 

Next, lets look at your existing code.  You have 2 statements that set @COST_PAID - one right after the other.  Why?  Given that you are writing an instead-of trigger, you cannot refer to the actual table to "look up" anything about the inserted rows.  This information can only be found in the inserted virtual table.  This is an important distinction between instead-of triggers and after triggers.  Writing instead-of triggers is more difficult than after triggers - so the immediate question that comes to mind is why you chose an instead-of trigger rather than an after trigger.  You are not ready for either, but you chose the more difficult one.

Next, I can't say I understand your logic but I'll assume the IF logic is correct.  As I just said, your rows only exist in the virtual inserted table.  Therefore, your insert statement does not do what you want but it does generate an complete set of duplicate rows (as already pointed out). So you should be inserting by selecting from the inserted table.  And of course, we don't use "select *" for production-level coding except in an exists clause. You have discovered why this is so.

Lastly, you need to think much more about what information to record in your error table.  You need to make sure that the message you record is understandable to anyone who might need to read it.  Here, you start your message with "ERROR".  Well, this is going in an error table so it should be a standard assumption that everything in this table is an error.  "ERROR" is both redundant and wasteful.  OTOH, perhaps your table is misnamed and you use it for multiple purposes.  If so, you have a schema issue.  Message logging should be formally categorized if that is important - one should not rely on convention. And if your error table has multiple purposes, how is anyone supposed to make sense of the schema and what your "model" actually represents?  Next, your actual message is incorrectly worded.  You are ignoring rows if cost <= 1000.  Your text implies that cost has an upper limit of 1000.  Why did you not choose something like "Cost must be greater than 1000"?  Your error message doesn't include ANY useful information about the transaction that was just ignored.  Some of that information might be useful to include in your error message.  Without it, all anyone knows is that at least one row was ignored and completely lost.

And lastly, why did you choose to use a trigger when the simplest approach by far is to add a constraint to the table?  You should take another hard, long, perhaps uncomfortable look at why you have chosen this path.  As the others have suggestion, you should also reconsider your schema decisions.  Why?  Your table only supports whole numbers as monetary amounts, though cost is defined as float. That is highly unusual.

July 24th, 2015 1:29pm

Sorry but you are not yet ready to work with triggers.  And I would argue that you have much to learn with respect to effective tsql coding. 

So, assuming that your trigger worked, what is the user experience in a situation where the logic jumps into your "error" situation.  When the ELSE logic in your trigger executes, it simply ends after the insert statement.  There is no effort made to notify the user (and more appropriately, to the application used to insert the rows) that the new rows have been ignored.  The application will simply assume that all the rows were successfully inserted.  Since most applications will attempt to refresh their content after a successful database update, the application will expect to find the rows there were inserted - which don't actually exists because of your trigger.  Then what? 

Next, lets look at your existing code.  You have 2 statements that set @COST_PAID - one right after the other.  Why?  Given that you are writing an instead-of trigger, you cannot refer to the actual table to "look up" anything about the inserted rows.  This information can only be found in the inserted virtual table.  This is an important distinction between instead-of triggers and after triggers.  Writing instead-of triggers is more difficult than after triggers - so the immediate question that comes to mind is why you chose an instead-of trigger rather than an after trigger.  You are not ready for either, but you chose the more difficult one.

Next, I can't say I understand your logic but I'll assume the IF logic is correct.  As I just said, your rows only exist in the virtual inserted table.  Therefore, your insert statement does not do what you want but it does generate an complete set of duplicate rows (as already pointed out). So you should be inserting by selecting from the inserted table.  And of course, we don't use "select *" for production-level coding except in an exists clause. You have discovered why this is so.

Lastly, you need to think much more about what information to record in your error table.  You need to make sure that the message you record is understandable to anyone who might need to read it.  Here, you start your message with "ERROR".  Well, this is going in an error table so it should be a standard assumption that everything in this table is an error.  "ERROR" is both redundant and wasteful.  OTOH, perhaps your table is misnamed and you use it for multiple purposes.  If so, you have a schema issue.  Message logging should be formally categorized if that is important - one should not rely on convention. And if your error table has multiple purposes, how is anyone supposed to make sense of the schema and what your "model" actually represents?  Next, your actual message is incorrectly worded.  You are ignoring rows if cost <= 1000.  Your text implies that cost has an upper limit of 1000.  Why did you not choose something like "Cost must be greater than 1000"?  Your error message doesn't include ANY useful information about the transaction that was just ignored.  Some of that information might be useful to include in your error message.  Without it, all anyone knows is that at least one row was ignored and completely lost.

And lastly, why did you choose to use a trigger when the simplest approach by far is to add a constraint to the table?  You should take another hard, long, perhaps uncomfortable look at why you have chosen this path.  As the others have suggestion, you should also reconsider your schema decisions.  Why?  Your table only supports whole numbers as monetary amounts, though cost is defined as float. That is highly unusual.

July 24th, 2015 5:22pm

July 24th, 2015 5:22pm

I am still in doubt if the inclusion is accepted when cost is greater than 1000

IF @COST_PAID>1000
     BEGIN

or when cost is less than or equal to 1000

... VALUES ('ERROR THE COST SHOULD BE UP TO 1000')

July 24th, 2015 7:02pm

Hello everybody,

Sorry for the delay, and thank you all for your help but I didn't used this trigger because my table tructure was changed, now i'm using Ozeki SMS gateway server to receive and send SMS through SQL server right now everything is good, but only when someone makes a payment of $ 10 while the product normally cost $ 25 I do not know the SMS send and tell the user that sent the amount is less.

This is the message model

ID. TRANSACT. 102830498374 you received $ 1 number 24381018799 your balance is $ 11

And this is the my table structure 

/****** Object:  Table [dbo].[ozekimessagein]    Script Date: 07/27/2015 22:54:15 ******/
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[ozekimessagein](
	[ID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
	[sender] [decimal](18, 0) NULL,
	[receiver] [decimal](18, 0) NULL,
	[msg] [nchar](300) NULL,
	[senttime] [time](7) NULL,
	[receivedtime] [time](7) NULL,
	[operator] [nchar](100) NULL,
	[msgtype] [nchar](100) NULL,
 CONSTRAINT [PK_ozekimessagein] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED 
(
	[ID] ASC
) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

I would like if possible to create I trigger which will check the [msg] if the amount is less 10$ then insert this query on this table

INSERT INTO [ozekimessageout]
           ([receiver]
           ,[msg],[status])
     VALUES('receiver', 'Not received, amount is to less', 'send' )
GO

But is the amount is >10$

Do this :

INSERT INTO [ozekimessageout]           ([receiver]           ,[msg],[status])     VALUES('sender', 'Payment received', 'send' )GO

Thank you

July 27th, 2015 6:47pm

In which table the "ID. TRANSACT..." message is stored:  ozekimessagein or ozekimessageout?

I couldn't fully understand what you are requesting.

But try

-- code #1 v2
CREATE TRIGGER TR_CHECKMONEY on [dbo].[ozekimessagein]
after Insert as

begin
declare @rc int;
set @rc= (SELECT Count(*) from (SELECT top (2) * from Inserted) as I);
IF @rc = 0 
  return;

with Inserted_2 as (
SELECT *, Balance= dbo.GetBalance (msg)
  from Inserted
where Substring(msg, 1, 13) = 'ID. TRANSACT.' ) INSERT into [ozekimessageout] ([receiver], [msg], [status]) SELECT case when Balance < 10 then 'receiver' else 'sender' end, case when Balance < 10 then 'Not received, amount is to less' else 'Payment received' end, 'send' from Inserted_2
where Balance is not NULL;
end; go

and

-- code #2
CREATE FUNCTION dbo.GetBalance (@Msg nvarchar(300))
returns int as
begin
IF @Msg is NULL or Len (@Msg) = 0
  return NULL;

declare @MsgR nvarchar(300), @I int;
set @MsgR= Ltrim (Reverse (@Msg));
set @I= PatIndex ('%[^0-9]%', @MsgR);
IF @I = 1
  return NULL;

set @MsgR= Reverse (Left (@MSgR, @I -1));

return Cast (@MsgR as int);
end;
go

July 27th, 2015 8:45pm

You probably want to say: 

'Not received as amount is too small'

-----------------------

'Not received, amount is to less' is not a proper English.

Unless you want to use another language for messages and that message was just a rough translation.

July 27th, 2015 8:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics