TCP Chimmney Off Load
Hello: recently i am working on connection issue on our SQL Server where TOE is enabled. i have gone thru few threads in this forum which addresses this issue. Also i have gone thru couple of blogs on CSS Blog which they have address the same. but still it is not clear what exactly & kind of processing is off loaded on NIC that cannot be done on HOST CPU. do we have few scenerios or e.g. that describe that enabling TOE is beneficial. i see every body is talking about updating drives or adapters but no one is describing exact scenerio where you can differentiate the processing from Host to NIC. sharing any info or links is greatly appreciated. Thanks
June 6th, 2011 8:44pm

This is not a SQL Server question. This is a complex networking question. Basically, it moves processing from the host driver/CPU to the onboard CPU of the NIC. This functionality varies greatly by NIC vendor. It would best asked of the NIC card vendor. Each vendor has different things which the TOE can use.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 6th, 2011 8:52pm

Tom: Thanks for the reply but still i am not clear what kind of processing is offload to NIC. exactly what processing that Host CPU is not capable & need to be offload. if this is an complex question, then i request to Microsoft to address it, so that we get some more insight knwoledge of it. just tossing of to NIC vendor, i think is not an answer. Thanks
June 6th, 2011 9:37pm

Hi aaditya2000, Thanks for posting here. You may take look the white paper and few KB articles that mentioned in the blog post blow if you are interesting in the processing of TCP Chimney offload feature: scalable networking pack http://blogs.technet.com/b/thenetworker/archive/2008/08/01/scalable-networking-pack.aspx Also you can acquire the new update of this feature in Windows server 2008 form the article below: Using TCP Chimney Offload http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg162709(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 7th, 2011 12:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics