TCP/IP file sharing component
I need to identify which service (if that's indeed what I need to do) which handles the file sharing over TCP/IP. We are running MS SQL 2005 on Windows Server 2003 and storing one the databases on a NAS device. It is working quite well except whenever the MS SQL machine restarts, MS SQL is not able to access the NAS device. To fix, all I have to do is restart MS SQL (not the machine, just the database server) and then it works fine again until the next time the machine restarts. It is as though, when the machine is starting, MS SQL starts before the machine is ready to do TCP/IP file sharing. I suppose the solution is to delay the starting of MS SQL until the machine is ready to network. I just need to know which of the many services does this. Then I can configure MS SQL to not start until this networking service is started. Any thoughts? Or if I am going down the wrong path, any corrections?
August 27th, 2010 2:38am

As far as I know, you may want to make the SQL Server Services dependent on the Workstation service. You could try identifying the name of the service using the get-service cmdlet or the services MMC snap-in PS C:\> get-service | where-object {$_.DisplayName.Contains("Workstation")} Status Name DisplayName ------ ---- ----------- Running LanmanWorkstation Workstation PS C:\> get-service | where-object {$_.Name.Contains("SQL")} Status Name DisplayName ------ ---- ----------- Running MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) Stopped MSSQLServerADHe... SQL Active Directory Helper Service Stopped SQLAgent$SQLEXP... SQL Server Agent (SQLEXPRESS) Stopped SQLBrowser SQL Server Browser Running SQLWriter SQL Server VSS Writer You should then be able to configure the SQL Server service to depend on the Workstation service. From an administrative command prompt, C:\>sc config "MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS" depend= LanmanWorkstation [SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS Note that this will be different for your specific instance of SQL Server (I simply modified my SQL Server Express installation), Also note that if you use Powershell, sc may already be an alias for set-content Alias sc Set-Content and if you run the sc command from Powershell, you will likely need to run the full path, C:\Windows\system32\sc config "MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS" depend= LanmanWorkstation To verify the dependency has been created, C:\>sc qc MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS [SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS SERVICE_NAME: MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL BINARY_PATH_NAME : "c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe" -sSQLEXPRESS LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : TAG : 0 DISPLAY_NAME : SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) DEPENDENCIES : LanmanWorkstation SERVICE_START_NAME : NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE You can also verify through the service control manager on the dependencies tab for the SQL Server service for the particular instance that you are configuring. -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2010 7:55am

Hi, Thanks for post here. That’s a good method to change the start dependencies of service by using SC utility I am still interesting in what’s the root cause of this issue. Please check the event log to verify if any related Event displayed and post the ID and description here for further investigation. Thanks Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 27th, 2010 10:49am

Thank you for the advice. This is the direction I need but maybe the WORKSTATION service is not the right service to be dependent on. After I adding the dependency and restarting the machine, SQL Server could still not reach the database on the NAS until I manually restarted MS SQL Server. Any ideas on a different service to try? Tiger Li asked for the relevant events. Here they are. First this: Event Type: Information Event Source: MSSQLSERVER Event Category: (2) Event ID: 17137 Date: 2010/08/27 Time: 10:41:33 AM User: N/A Computer: DATA3 Description: Starting up database 'weblogs'. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Data: 0000: f1 42 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ñB...... 0008: 06 00 00 00 44 00 41 00 ....D.A. 0010: 54 00 41 00 33 00 00 00 T.A.3... 0018: 00 00 00 00 .... Then this: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSSQLSERVER Event Category: (2) Event ID: 17207 Date: 2010/08/27 Time: 10:41:37 AM User: N/A Computer: DATA3 Description: FCB::Open: Operating system error 32(The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.) occurred while creating or opening file '\\seagate\mssql\weblogs.mdf'. Diagnose and correct the operating system error, and retry the operation. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Data: 0000: 37 43 00 00 10 00 00 00 7C...... 0008: 06 00 00 00 44 00 41 00 ....D.A. 0010: 54 00 41 00 33 00 00 00 T.A.3... 0018: 00 00 00 00 .... Then this: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSSQLSERVER Event Category: (2) Event ID: 17204 Date: 2010/08/27 Time: 10:41:37 AM User: N/A Computer: DATA3 Description: FCB::Open failed: Could not open file \\seagate\mssql\weblogs.mdf for file number 1. OS error: 32(The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.). For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Data: 0000: 34 43 00 00 10 00 00 00 4C...... 0008: 06 00 00 00 44 00 41 00 ....D.A. 0010: 54 00 41 00 33 00 00 00 T.A.3... 0018: 00 00 00 00 ....
August 27th, 2010 8:23pm

Hi, Thanks for the update. Have you checked the article below that given some methods to troubleshooting this issue. How to troubleshoot Error 17204 and 17207 in SQL Server http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2015754/en-us Hope that’s helpful Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 30th, 2010 6:12am

No, KB 2015754 does not really address this specific problem. I have solved it by running this batch file during computer startup: sleep 60 sc stop SQLSERVERAGENT sleep 5 sc stop MSSQLSERVER sleep 5 sc start MSSQLSERVER sleep 5 sc start SQLSERVERAGENT
August 31st, 2010 2:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics