TCP/IP Connection Issue on Windows Server 2008 SP2
Hi All, We got the following error with our monitor application. Monitor application tried to make a TCP/IP connection to another server, and runs out of all local ports. We can not close these connections without rebooting. This will happen if the windows server didn't reboot in 500 days. (We tested in our data center by some servers. ) Please explain why it is exact 500 days??? We are looking for a solution to fix it without reboot. Thank yoU! Bill TCP/IP failed to establish an outgoing connection because the selected local endpoint was recently used to connect to the same remote endpoint. This error typically occurs when outgoing connections are opened and closed at a high rate, causing all available local ports to be used and forcing TCP/IP to reuse a local port for an outgoing connection. To minimize the risk of data corruption, the TCP/IP standard requires a minimum time period to elapse between successive connections from a given local endpoint to a given remote endpoint.
September 13th, 2011 10:59am

Sounds like a monitoring application problem. Have you tried disabling/enabling the interface? -- Mike Burr Technology
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 14th, 2011 3:18pm

Thank you for reply. We didn't try disable/enable network interface because that will take the server offline. When we run netstat -b, it reported client monitor application tried to make 65535 connections to server side. After rebooting, everything is good. I don't think it's the problem with monitor application. I searched in Google, and sombody told it may be a bug in Windows about a timer for TCP/IP session expiration.
September 14th, 2011 9:34pm

Hi Bill, Thank you for your post. The event 4227 means that the application open up more ports but not closing them in timely fashion. Windows 2008 default dynamic port range specify start port 49152 end port 65535. So you monitor it try to make connection via 65535 port. To resolve this issue, please restart your application service or set TcpTimedWaitDelay to a lower value via registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.Regards, Rick Tan
September 15th, 2011 4:47am

Hi Rick, Thank you! We use the default value for TcpTimedWaitDelay (240 seconds = 4 minutes). But even we wait for more than 24 hours Windows won't close these connections, there are lots of connections with port number from 49152 to 65535. We restarted monitor application service, and won't work. The starnge thing is why all our prod Windows servers meet the same issue if no reboot in 500 days???? Thanks! Bill
September 20th, 2011 2:40pm

Hi Bill, Please set TcpTimedWaitDelay to a lower value from 240 to 60, reboot your server and verify if sessions will auto close. It's your monitor application problem, please contact your application vendor.Regards, Rick Tan
September 20th, 2011 9:26pm

I guess this is the answer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2553549 Regards, Mehul
September 26th, 2011 5:10pm

Mehul, Thank you! We will consider this fix if it's in a service package. Bill
October 17th, 2011 11:09am

Question if you don't mind (I have a similar / identical problem): I'm seeing the same thing on Windows 7 ultimate. Is this a different code base than vista / 2008r2? thank you.
December 5th, 2011 1:22am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics