Sysvol and Netlogon shares missing after server restore
I backed up one of five ofmy companies 2003 domain controllers. I used a program called Platespin to convert the server from physical to a virtual machine in my lab. I then siezed the roles, as this server had none of the FSMO's on it, and expected everything to work properly. The IP address has not changed, it runs DNS and points to itself for name resolution. Logons to the domain are failing though. I dig deeper into the issue using dcdiag /fix and find that the Sysvol and Netlogon shares are missing. How to I restore these folders?
March 9th, 2009 6:20pm

Hi,This behavior is by design when you restore the only DC in lab. This problem happens because the File Replication service (FRS) cannot locate a valid replication partner to synchronize the Sysvol replica set. You need to designate this domain controller as being authoritative for the Sysvol replica set. To do so, please perform the following steps:1. Stop the File Replication service on the domain controller.2. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).3. Locate and then click the BurFlags value under the following key in the registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore\Process at Startup4. On the Edit menu, click DWORD, click Hex, type D4, and then click OK. Quit Registry Editor.5. Move data out of the PreExisting folder.6. Restart the File Replication Service.For more detailed information, please refer to the following article.The Sysvol and Netlogon Shares Are Missing After You Restore a Domain Controller from Backuphttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/316790Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 10th, 2009 11:14am

Thank you!
April 15th, 2009 8:10pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics