System state backup on Server 2012 R2

Using the WSB utility, I get the following error "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

I ran the utility through powershell and got the same error.  I checked the log files and get this error "Error in deletion of [C:\System Volume Information\001.dat] while pruning the target VHD: Error [0x80070020] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

Looked at resource monitor and system constantly has access to the file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Edited by PTRDB Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:42 PM
December 15th, 2014 9:50pm

Hi,

Do you install any Symantec software on your server? You could stop and disable all of Symantec Services to check the results. 

The other troubleshooting step would be to download process monitor and see if you can figure out what process is causing the error.

For more detailed information, please refer to the thread below:

System State backup always inconsistend with error 0x80070020
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/75f5dc94-68b0-43ee-9c71-03b2cb95cd73/system-state-backup-always-inconsistend-with-error-0x80070020

Best Regards,

Mandy
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 17th, 2014 9:24am

Thanks for the reply.

There are no Symantec products on this server.  The server does have Kaspersky EndPoint 10 though.  I have already disabled it and tried a new backup with no luck.

I did run resource monitor and found that image "system" with PID 4 has had the file locked.  Other than that, I don't see anything else accessing that specific file.

December 18th, 2014 7:43pm

Hi,

Besed on my research, the files C:\System Volume Information\001.dat is attributed to Kaspersky anti-virus software which is not be able to backup. I suggest you except the file to run System State backup.

Best Regards,

Mandy 
December 25th, 2014 9:51am

Hi Mandy,

I've the same problem: "error during system state backups with kasp endpoint security 10 installed, the backup start but after few second stops with error in deletion of .001 file into system volume information.

I've try to exclude that file from kasp console... but maybe I must exclude it from VSS backup from the windows backup console?

thanks in advance.

luck

June 18th, 2015 12:43pm

Hi Mandy,

I've tried above solutions..is not work for me too. Any others way to solve it?

Regards,

Nick

August 28th, 2015 2:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics