System Process Running High
Good day all,I have an issue I am hoping somone has seen before. We have a 2003 R2 file server where the System process is at times running upto 90-95% of the CPU. I have Process Explorer runningand I have already configured the symbols and Iam getting the System process as the one consuming the CPU and I was able to pull from the tread ntoskrnl.exe!workerThread was utilizing the most CPU and from the stack ntoskrnl.exe!KiSwapContext+0x26 was highest. I have also seen Srv.sys!KiSwapContext+0x26 Memory seems normal and so do most other processes, just the system process appears to raise slowly (couple of minutes) then stay high with what I included above then drop again after a few minutes to normal.I have checked for such things as Shadow copies, Backupetc. runningbut nothing appears to be pushing it.Any Ideas?
April 15th, 2009 10:45pm

hi there,alright srv.sys file is related to SMB / CIFS related activity , please make sure you update srv.sys to latest version depending on the OS you use. This behavior is always caused by one of the driver because system process run's always in kernel mode The System process is special because it doesnt host an executable image like other processes. It exists solely to host operating system threads for the memory manager, cache manager, and other subsystems, as well as device driver threads. These threads execute entirely in kernel mode, which is why System process CPU usage shows up as red in Process Explorers graphs. also make sure that you upgrade drivers on your OS which might related to third party as well.sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 16th, 2009 8:15am

Hi, Have you tried to boot the computer into safe mode to have a test. I found a article described the similar issue to yours, you can refer to: Microsoft clustered file server experiencing high CPU utilization during user access http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/2003_Server/Q_23409267.html Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet. Hope it helps! Best regards, Vincent Hu
April 20th, 2009 12:41pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics