System Center License for Monitoring a TCP port on a remote machine
Is any kind of a system center license needed for a remote machine if I am simply checking the availability of TCP port 80?  No System center agent is deployed to this system. 
August 19th, 2015 11:08am

You can set up the TCP port monitoring using a watcher node.

But SCOM unlicensed version will expire after trial period and you wont be able to monitor the port.

So License is required for SCOM to function but not for the remote server I guess.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2015 11:30am

The watcher node is licensed, however I was wondering about the machine that I was monitoring the TCP port on.  Doesn't sound like a license is not required from your perspective.
August 19th, 2015 1:01pm

No addition license is required for just monitor machine TCp port 80. A license is required for machine which has agent installed.

Roger

August 20th, 2015 4:49am

No addition license is required for just monitor machine TCp port 80. A license is required for machine which has agent installed.

Roger

August 20th, 2015 8:43am

like SCGuy states, just checking a port with out an agent on the box, no license would be needed to do this. Running it with an agent on the box yes would need an agent. (the agent makes it easy to tell you if you need a license or not) It is when you try and do more robust monitoring than just checking a port, or doing a passive query that a license would be required. I am not sure if they have changed that requirement, as I have not check it in a few years.
August 25th, 2015 2:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics