Synchronizing time with external source on 2088 r2
My domain controller isn't synchronized to a valid time source. In an attempt to follow some instructions I get the following errorC:\>w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist: "0.ntp.pool.org, 1.ntp.pool.org, 2.ntp.pool.org"The following arguments were unexpected: 0.ntp.pool.org, 1.ntp.pool.org, 2.ntp.pool.orgC:\>_Instructions I was following___________ First, locate your PDC Server. Open the command prompt and type: C:\>netdom /query fsmo Log in to your PDC Server and open the command prompt. Stop the W32Time service: C:\>net stop w32time Configure the external time sources, type: C:\> w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist: “0.ntp.pool.org, 1.ntp.pool.org, 2.ntp.pool.org” Make your PDC a reliable time source for the clients. Type: C:\>w32tm /config /reliable:yes Start the w32time service: C:\>net start w32time The windows time service should begin synchronizing the time. You can check the external NTP servers in the time configuration by typing: C:\>w32tm /query /configuration Check the Event Viewer for any errors. thx
January 20th, 2010 11:03pm

Hi CPMTECH, To configure the Windows Time Service on first forest root domain controller Log on to the domain controller. Type the following command to display the time difference between the local computer and a target computer, and then press ENTER:w32tm /stripchart /computer:target/samples:1/dataonlyWhere target specifies the DNS name or IP address of the NTP server that you are comparing the local computer's time against, such as time.windows.com and 1 specifies the number of time samples that will be returned from the target computer. In this example, only one sample will be returned to test basic NTP communication. Open UDP port 123 for outgoing traffic if needed. Open UDP port 123 (or a different port you have selected) for incoming NTP traffic.Type the following command to configure the PDC emulator and then press ENTER:w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:peers /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /updatePeers specifies the list of DNS names and/or IP addresses of the NTP time source that the PDC emulator synchronizes from. For example, you can specify time.windows.com. When specifying multiple peers, use a space as the delimiter and enclose them in quotation marks.http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784929(WS.10).aspx Skip step 2 complete step 5 first then step 2.Checkout if this work. Hope you find the info useful
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 21st, 2010 12:48am

The peer list entries are space delimited. Try this:w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist: "0.ntp.pool.org,0x1 1.ntp.pool.org,0x1 2.ntp.pool.org,0x1"Tony
January 21st, 2010 12:53am

Hi CPMTECH,Below are two which I have test on my (test DC) Windows Server 2008 R2 which working correctly. w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:"0.asia.pool.ntp.org 1.asia.pool.ntp.org 2.asia.pool.ntp.org" /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:"0.pool.ntp.org 1.pool.ntp.org 2.pool.ntp.org" /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/use.htmTry to get it right, so try again. Take Note : there are some typing error in your time server name Hope you find the info useful
January 21st, 2010 7:06pm

Hello - Can you tell me what the Hex parameter is after the ntpserver? I tried looking in the w32tm help page but the parameter is not described. Its seems to be a sync timing paramter 0x9 = 3600 seconds Mine is/was X.Y.X.IP1,0x9 because that is what MS has when it points to mstime.com by default. I added a second server with: ....../manualpeerlist:"X.Y.Z.IP1,0x9 X.Y.Z.IP2,0x9" (notice the space)
March 29th, 2012 2:20pm

Hi rs120p http://blogs.msdn.com/b/w32time/archive/2008/02/26/configuring-the-time-service-ntpserver-and-specialpollinterval.aspx The above blogs might answer your question. Also 0x9 is not the correct flags.Hope you find the info useful
April 16th, 2012 12:15pm

Hi Justohelp, The article has 2 people ask for clarity if 0x9 = 0x1 plus 0x8 and was never answered. Use scientific in your Windows calc program. Also at the end it says the default for Server 2008 - which I have - is: 0x9. And finally - the absolute do nothing default in Server 2008 registry says: time.windows.com,0x9 Thank you for the link to the meaning of the flags
April 16th, 2012 12:33pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics