Sudden odd behavior with files on a share

We have an excel file on a shared area (G: drive) that 2 people use.  Of course only one at a time.  Call them Jane and Jim.  So Jane is in the file and makes some updated and gets out about 13:10 and the time stamp reflects it.  Then say Jim goes in and makes some changes at 14:00  and exits and saves at 14:30.  Jim's time stamp reflects the correct time.  Jane goes to open  the file at 15:00 and does not see any of Jim's changes.  Then she notices the time stamp on her system is still 13:10.  Jim looks at the same file on the G: drive and his time stamp is 14:30.  They can refresh, same thing.  They can log out and log in, same thing.  If I get on the G: drive and look at it I see Jim's time stamp.  It's like it somehow got cached Janes system and it won't release it and get the later on on the file share.  I have never seen anything like this.  There are no errors on the server logs.  

They have done this for years and never had a problem.

Server 2012, Windows 7 Pro, all current updates on

August 26th, 2015 5:53pm

I have seen something similar back in the windows 7 days. I had a user who worked on a spreadsheet in one room , went downstairs opened the spreadsheet to find none of the changes she made were there. She then proceeded back up the stairs and logged into the same PC she was previously on and opened the file and the changes were there.

It turned out to be that little green circle thing in the taskbar.

I disabled offlinefiles and the problem was resolved.

On all of the windows 7 machines I opened up an elevated command prompt and typed:

wmic path win32_offlinefilescache call enable false

and rebooted..

strangely in Windows 8.1 I have never experienced this problem even with the little green thingy running.

not sure if its the same problem as yours but thought I would share.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2015 8:44pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics