Subst To Directories not giving sufficient access

Good day all.

I sincerely hope that someone might be able to assist me here. My client is currently running Windows Server 2012 R2. The server was installed recently. They are running a RDS setup to access the server. Via RDS, they are running practice management software for their practice. After much frustration, the practice management software is running as it should, except for the software that handles their claims.

So after discussing the problem with the developers/installers/agents who's software this is, they basically need two drives available by subst'ing the two drive letters V: & T:. Each users profile access' V:, which is a standard setup on every users profile to subst to (for arguments sake), "c:\Environments\76". The T: subst, directs to (for arguments sake), "c:\Environments\76\Users\[username]". Apparently there is no way that the developers can change the programming to direct to the appropriate folder, instead it "must" direct to V: & T: subst respectively.

That's basically it for the background, now the problem that I am having, is that even though after subst'ing the respective drives and they show up in explorer, they are not fully accessible. After much reading, I noticed that there have been issues in this regard since Windows 7, but after running an admin version of the same script the problem seems to be solved. I have tried this on the current server, but to no avail. Every time I subst on a domain user account (non elevated and another elevated instance) it still gives and error "The specified path does not exist. Check the path, and try again." I have created a staff admin account (for other purposes), and I have been able to get it working on that specific account, following the elevated AND non elevated subst script. Made a startup script and it's working just fine, but on all the other accounts nothing seems to be working.

I thought maybe I could setup a VHD, map it to V: and create a mklink /h toward that location but unfortunately mklink does not support creating links from one local drive towards another (or in this case a VHD).

Any suggestions towards a work around, or how to solve the problem in regards with subst not working efficiently? Apparently there are suggestions that subst is depreciated but I could get no confirmation in that regard.

Thanks in advance.

Frustrated Admin -.-

September 8th, 2015 10:17am

Hi,

Since this issue is not related to remote desktop services, I will move this thread to Windows Server General forum.

Every time I subst on a domain user account (non elevated and another elevated instance) it still gives and error "The specified path does not exist. Check the path, and try again."

Kindly share with us the script you are using.

To get professional support regarding scripting, here are some related forums below for you:

The Official Scripting Guys Forum

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/home?forum=ITCG

MSDN Scripting Forum

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=scripting

Windows PowerShell Forum

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverpowershell

Best Regards,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 13th, 2015 10:37pm

There are two scripts running upon user login. One for non elevated and one for elevated.

(start of script)

Echo off

subst V: C:\Enivronments\76

subst T: C:\Environments\76\Users\[username]

exit

The second script is exactly the same, only its being run with highest privileges.

For time being I had no other option than to change all user accounts to Administrator accounts so they can process claims etc, but I would sure like to get them back to the environment they should be running in.

Thanks.

September 14th, 2015 2:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics