Subscrition on New Resolution State fires also when closed

Hey there,

we do have a Installation of Scom 2012 R2 over here:

i created two subscriptions:

One for new Alerts and another one for closed Alerts.

Now i am facing the issue, my New Subscription (Criteria; Severity=Critical Resolution State=New) fires also, when the state is changed to Closed.

So i have for a new and closed Alert three Mails in my box (two with new and one with closed)

Any ideas?

best regards

Chris

December 30th, 2014 2:33pm

Hi,

I assume there is something missed when you configure subscritions, would please re-check how did you configure new alert subscription and close alert subscription.

In addition, the two links below should be helpful to troubleshooting notification issues:

Alert notification troubleshooting in System Center Operations Manager

http://blogs.technet.com/b/operationsmgr/archive/2010/08/11/alert-notification-troubleshooting-in-system-center-operations-manager-2007.aspx

How To: Test Notification Settings & How To Solve Issues

http://thoughtsonopsmgr.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-test-notification-settings-how.html

Regards,

Yan Li

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 31st, 2014 9:19am

This is normal. You has three subscriptions
1) New alert
2) Closed alert
3) criteria: severity=critical, Resolution State = New)
Case 1:
a new critical alert is fired ==> it fulfill the subscription 1) and 3) and as a result 2 emails are sent
Later On the alert is closed ==> it fulfill the subscription 2) and as a result 1 email is sent
Case 2:
a new non-critical alert is fired ==> it just fulfill the subscription 1) and as a result 1 email is sent
Later On the alert is closed ==> it fulfill the subscription 2) and as a result 1 email is sent
Roger
December 31st, 2014 10:26am

i have only two subscriptions...
December 31st, 2014 1:47pm

Hi There,

Can you check the below samples of subscriptions and see if either of your subscriptions are configured as the 1st or 2nd for resolution state?

Based on my knowledge one of your subscriptions would have both the option New and closed selected as in the 1st screenshot. Because even i had the same issue of getting Alerts for closed and new. When i cross checked accidentally i had selected both New and closed. Once i removed closed i was getting only the new alerts. As our requirement was for only new alerts not closed.

Check and let me know your results.

January 1st, 2015 9:29am

this was the first to be checked

January 1st, 2015 3:49pm

Hi There,

Thank you for providing the screenshots.

I see the resolution state is set correctly. So as mentioned by you that you get 2 emails
for the Alert in the New state right? But the same is not in case with the Closed alerts.

So Can you tell me what are the conditions you have selected there ? As per the screenshot i see only 2 i.e ( 1. Of a specific sev & with a specific resolution state) So are there only 2 conditions set ?
January 1st, 2015 4:01pm

Current situations:
1) two subscriptions: email alert is generated if new alert is generated and email alert is generated when alert is closed
2)  When a new alert is fired, an email alert is received. However, two email alerts is received when alert is closed
Troubleshoot steps
1) modify the email format which include the alert severity, resolution state, alert raised time and alert resolution time
2) make sure that when scom alert is generated, only one email alert is triggered
3) When alert state is changed from new into closed, resolution state, check how may email alert is received and their corresponding alert severity, resolution state, alert raised time and alert resolution time
Roger
January 5th, 2015 11:22am

Hey there, sorry for delay

yes, there are only two...

i recreated them and now it looks correct?!?

• Proposed as answer by Gautam.75801 Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:52 AM
  • Marked as answer by c_loki Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:55 AM
January 28th, 2015 12:24pm

Hey there, sorry for delay

yes, there are only two...

i recreated them and now it looks correct?!?

• Proposed as answer by Gautam.75801 Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:52 AM
  • Marked as answer by c_loki Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:55 AM
January 28th, 2015 12:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics