Subordinate CA renewal with online root Enterprise CA (BOTH Windows 2003 enterprise)
I have an Enterprise CA root server and a subordinate CA server in my domain (single domain). Both of these servers are running on Windows 2003 Enterprise edition. I was able to obtain a subordinate CA certificate when i originally set it up (this original sub CA certificate will expire on 2/2009). Now i would like to renew my subordinate CA's so the expiration date will be further out (e.g. to year 2012) so all client certificates issued by this subordinate CA will have a longer expiration date. According to this MS article, i should be able to renew it by right clicking on the sub CA server and select renew. http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/4fbf053c-c0ae-4fad-a29d-1d17f04cd5fc1033.mspx?mfr=true After the renewal request, the subordinate CA didn't get a renewed certificate. The root CA server on the other hand did show that the new certificate has been issued. But the subordinate server just didn't get it no matter how many times i restarted the server. I need help!!
July 21st, 2008 9:41pm

I would save the renewal request to a CSR request file and then submit the request manually to the root CA. You can then save the issued certificate as a PKCS#7 and then install the certificate at the subordinate CA. You may be able to do this still from your first attempt. Have you tried exporting the issued certificate at the root CA as a PKCS#7 and then installing the certificate at the sub CA?Brian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 24th, 2008 12:18am

I think i figured out what happened. After renewing the certificate on the Subordinate CA, the certificate was issued on the root CA (not applied/installed on subordinate CA yet)Then i need to go back to the subordinate CA, select Install certificate to install this certificate on the subordinate CA. This will stop and restart the CA service.thanks for looking into this.
July 24th, 2008 8:39pm

Glad that it workedBrian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 24th, 2008 10:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics