Stuck in WinPE after failed offline p2v of 2003 R2

I'm basically stuck getting booted into winpe over and over after a failed offline p2v. I've waited up to an hour for scvmm to reboot the server into the original os but its just not doing it?

How can I disable the boot into winpe manually to stop this from happening! My server is currently down and i'm running out of time to get it back up!!

February 13th, 2013 4:49pm

Looks like the Remove-SCComputerConfiguration cmdlet will trigger the removal of the agent & winpe on the source physical server however this hasn't worked and I'm still getting booted into winpe.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 13th, 2013 6:17pm

Logged a critical call with MS yesterday afternoon, will let everyone know how this progresses.
February 14th, 2013 12:26pm

Well after nearly 12 hours on the phone to Microsoft support I was told my only option was to perform a 2003 repair on the OS which I'm glad I didn't - I genuinely did not believe this would resolve the problem as something was taking priority on bootup over the Windows 2003 install.

As previously discussed during the P2V process something modifies the system partition in order to force the server to boot up into WinPE and the SCVMM P2V agent.

After making file level backups of all of the drives yesterday evening I started poking around the backup files to see if there were any traces of SCVMM on the system volume, I found C:\boot, boot.wim and bootmgr the boot folder contained boot.sdi, bootfix.bin, etfsboot.com and scvmm_bcd.

I recalled that generally only boot.ini was used with 2003, checked if the boot directory and other files were on another existing 2003 machine and found none. I then booted into the windows 2008 recovery console and renamed the C:\boot\ directory and other files mentioned to C:\boot_backup etc etc.

This bypassed the P2V SCVMM agent and booted straight into windows 2003 server on a reboot. Needless to say, I am extremely relieved I discovered this solution :)

It may be worth publishing a KB article on this as there will still be people out their P2Ving servers like the one I tried to P2V. What I believe has happened is that the P2V agent hasn't provided support for the PERC card this particular Dell server runs on, therefore the agent boots up to perform the p2v in the 2012/WinPE environment, but cant see the storage because of lack of RAID drivers, furthermore it cannot then remove the agent installation files and gets stuck in this loop!

I really really hope that my efforts will help some other poor unfortunate out there who may be struggling with the same issue!

February 15th, 2013 11:30am

This also just happened to me. My 32-bit Dell 2650 server wouldn't even boot into the Server 2012 WinPE SCVMM utilities (possibly because SCVMM is only 64-bit?).The error message I received was "Your PC need to restart. Please hold down the power button. Error Code: 0x0000005D Parameters: 0x030F0209 0x756E6547 0x49656E69 0x6c65746E ". And of course after power cycling, it ended up at the same place.

I had access to the Server 2003 R2 install CD (that's the OS I have installed on the server) so I thought I would try to use it to do the repair. After pressing F6 and loading the RAID drivers from floppy, I chose the "R" option to boot into the Recovery Console and then I was able to see the Server 2003 OS disk. I attempted to rename the C:\boot\ folder as you suggested, but I received an "Access Denied" error. So instead, I used the "Fixboot" command as well as the "BootCfg /rebuild" command (and then added the the instance of the discovered OS in C:\Windows). I'm not sure if both commands were necessary, but after this I was able to avoid the SCVMM boot loader, and boot directly back into the Server 2003 OS.

So your 12 hours on the phone to Microsoft support probably would have ended well if you had gone that route...

Note: you can type "Help" at the prompt in the Recovery Console to list other commands that might be helpful.

February 23rd, 2013 12:57am

I had this same problem on a set of 5 x86 VMs running Windows Server 2003 SP2.

Same issue;

"Your PC need to restart. Please hold down the power button. Error Code: 0x0000005D Parameters: 0x030F0209 0x756E6547 0x49656E69 0x6c65746E "

After the first one, I got smart and snapshotted them before trying (thankfully they are VMs to begin with) but the first i had to boot from the CD and fix the loader to get it to boot again.

Ultimately I ended up doing an online P2V of these which is less than ideal and wont work for us long-term.

I've got a support case open with MS on it as we speak and they're being useless to this point. My belief (and I've reason to believe from some other users facing similar issues) is that WAIK is deploying the 64-bit WinPE WIM to the system and it's unable to boot to it. Hopefully I can steer them to looking at this instead of giving me the "ESX version 3.x is not supported run-around"...

February 23rd, 2013 1:31am

This also just happened to me. My 32-bit Dell 2650 server wouldn't even boot into the Server 2012 WinPE SCVMM utilities (possibly because SCVMM is only 64-bit?).The error message I received was "Your PC need to restart. Please hold down the power button. Error Code: 0x0000005D Parameters: 0x030F0209 0x756E6547 0x49656E69 0x6c65746E ". And of course after power cycling, it ended up at the same place.

I had access to the Server 2003 R2 install CD (that's the OS I have installed on the server) so I thought I would try to use it to do the repair. After pressing F6 and loading the RAID drivers from floppy, I chose the "R" option to boot into the Recovery Console and then I was able to see the Server 2003 OS disk. I attempted to rename the C:\boot\ folder as you suggested, but I received an "Access Denied" error. So instead, I used the "Fixboot" command as well as the "BootCfg /rebuild" command (and then added the the instance of the discovered OS in C:\Windows). I'm not sure if both commands were necessary, but after this I was able to avoid the SCVMM boot loader, and boot directly back into the Server 2003 OS.

So your 12 hours on the phone to Microsoft support probably would have ended well if you had gone that route...

Note: you can type "Help" at the prompt in the Recovery Console to list other commands that might be helpful.

Sadly my 12 hour call exhausted all avenues that support were able to offer so much so that support requested I provide full details on how I fixed the issue. Attempts to use fix boot and bootcfg were attempted but in my case both failed.
February 23rd, 2013 2:19am

I just ran (or tried to) an offline P2V of a Dell PowerEdge T700 with SCVMM 2012 SP1. It uses the new and improved Server 2012-based WinPE for the recommended offline conversion of a domain controller. I too ended up with the error above. The cause is that the processor, a 2.8GHz P4 is no compatible with the 64 bit WinPE used by SCVMM 2012 SP1. So it failed to boot into WinPE. It also failed to remove itself and I was forced to go Googling for a solution, which led me here. I booted from a Server 2003 R2 CD (the T700 does not have DVD drive), loaded the CERC/SATA driver for the disk controller, and renamed the bootmgr and boot.wim files mentioned above. I also had the perm issue with the boot directory, but left it as it was. The server booted, thankfully, back into its native OS.

Now, having survived this scare, but also have wasted HOURS of my time, I'm left wondering why the wizards at MS didn't bother to check the processor architecture during the preflight P2V check that SCVMM does, much less leave an option for an offline P2V of physical boxes with 32 bit processors.

It's an SBS 2003 server, so it's running Exchange and AD, and MS says not to run online conversions of boxes like this.

So how the heck are we supposed to convert this older physical boxes to VMs???

March 9th, 2013 7:42am

Just happened to me with doing P2V of Compaq server. Thank you!!! We are running VMM 2012 SP1 with 2008 R2 host.
May 16th, 2013 2:21am

Just happened to me with doing P2V of Compaq server. Thank you!!! We are running VMM 2012 SP1 with 2008 R2 host.

Happy to see its helped others, as I said I was apparently the first person Microsoft had seen hit this issue. Was a seriously bad few days for me but I'm overjoyed to see my pain has helped others out of the same mess!
May 16th, 2013 11:44am

I just ran (or tried to) an offline P2V of a Dell PowerEdge T700 with SCVMM 2012 SP1. It uses the new and improved Server 2012-based WinPE for the recommended offline conversion of a domain controller. I too ended up with the error above. The cause is that the processor, a 2.8GHz P4 is no compatible with the 64 bit WinPE used by SCVMM 2012 SP1. So it failed to boot into WinPE. It also failed to remove itself and I was forced to go Googling for a solution, which led me here. I booted from a Server 2003 R2 CD (the T700 does not have DVD drive), loaded the CERC/SATA driver for the disk controller, and renamed the bootmgr and boot.wim files mentioned above. I also had the perm issue with the boot directory, but left it as it was. The server booted, thankfully, back into its native OS.

Now, having survived this scare, but also have wasted HOURS of my time, I'm left wondering why the wizards at MS didn't bother to check the processor architecture during the preflight P2V check that SCVMM does, much less leave an option for an offline P2V of physical boxes with 32 bit processors.

It's an SBS 2003 server, so it's running Exchange and AD, and MS says not to run online conversions of boxes like this.

So how the heck are we supposed to convert this older physical boxes to VMs???

Only way I found was to do an online conversion with all services stopped. Less than ideal but its 'okay' for most systems other than dcs.
May 16th, 2013 11:45am

Hello.

Same problem with a HP ProLiant DL360 G3. Booting into Recovery Console and renaming the bootmgr and boot.wim files did the trick. In my case it was not even necessary to load the storage controller driver.

Thanks a lot!!

May 21st, 2013 4:59pm

Hello.

Same problem with a HP ProLiant DL360 G3. Booting into Recovery Console and renaming the bootmgr and boot.wim files did the trick. In my case it was not even necessary to load the storage controller driver.

Thanks a lot!!

No problem :) I'm amazed there isn't a kb about this yet. I knew I wouldn't be alone when I resolved the issue!
May 21st, 2013 5:23pm

Thanks so much for this. Your article saved me soooooo much grief.

Ian

July 3rd, 2013 10:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics