Strange problem with home folder mapping
Hello, I hope someone can help me figure out what is causing this strange problem. So far it has only happened to 4 users. When the user logs on, their home folder either: A. Mapped with a different letter or, B. Is not mapped at all. We use Active Directory to manage the home folder location for all users. When I ran the 'set' command on the computer that did not map the home folder at all, the 'HOMEDRIVE' was incorrect (pointing to C:\Documents and Settings\...) however the 'HOMESHARE' was correct (pointing to \\servername\share). To fix the problem, I changed the assigned home folder drive letter in Active Directory, clicked on apply and then changed it back to 'H' and clicked on OK. I still dont know however what is causing it in the first place and would like to make sure it doesn't happen again.
December 9th, 2010 8:33am

Hello Cvandal, In order to isolate the cause of the issue, please answer the following questions: 1. Are there any error messages in the event viewer? 2. Does this issue occur when problematic users log on to the other working computer? 3. Does this issue occur when other working users log on to the problematic computers? 4. What operation system is running on the problematic computers? Meanwhile, please make sure that the latest updates are installed on the computers. Brent Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 13th, 2010 9:19am

1. No errors are present in the event logs. 2. No, it works fine when they log on to another machine. 3. No, it works fine when other users log onto the problematic machine. 4. Windows 7 Professional and Windows XP Professional SP2 and SP3. All machines are up to date (confirmed with WSUS).
December 14th, 2010 1:06am

Hello Cvandal, This behavior may occur if the user profile was corrupted on the computer. I suggest you copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile or use Windows Easy Transfer after renaming the corrupted user profile on the problematic computers. How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151 Windows Easy Transfer for Windows XP http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=2B6F1631-973A-45C7-A4EC-4928FA173266&displaylang=en Brent Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
December 14th, 2010 5:40am

I have tried that already on the affected computer however the same problem still occurs. As strange as it sounds because I know that everything points to a corrupted profile.
December 15th, 2010 5:55am

This issue appears to have resolved itself. No real solution was found however Brent Hu's suggestion was identitcal to my thoughts.
August 31st, 2011 8:44pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics