Strange problem with Windows pushing the wrong printer driver
Hi everyone, I have a really strange problem and just can't figure this on out, so let my explain the situation first: I have a SBS 2011 server which also acts as a print-server. I install the drivers (32 & 64-bit in one package) so the clients can use this driver to operate the printer. I deploy the printer through group policy and they can print with this printer. When they want to print a document in word and they open the printer settings, change something and press print, everything is normal.. But when they click cancel word just freezes and you have to close the process. You also get the following error when you want to close word: "you cannot close microsoft office word because a dialog box is open". Here comes the strange thing: When I add a local printer (with tcp/ip port directly to the printer his IP) and use the same driver of the printer that is pushed from the server, everything works... Sometimes when I print with the printer from the SBS I get a message box from EFI saying that the connection to the SBS-server failed, but the printer still prints the document.. I really have no idea what is wrong. 1 month ago, they were running an older version of SBS and everything just worked, so guess something is wrong with the server. I did some googling and the error message "you cannot close microsoft office word because a dialog box is open" has something to do with an issue between 32-bit and 64-bit. All the clients and servers are 64-bit. I first thought that maybe the clients were loading the 32-bit driver from the server, but when you add a printer locally and use the same driver everything is working perfectly. They are also using AVG, so maybe this is the problem. My collegue has tested it with AVG off and the same results. (I haven't tried this so maybe this has something to do with it) I hope you can help me, because I have no idea where to look next.
April 5th, 2011 3:17am

I have just deleted the x86 driver and everything is working perfectly for the x64 clients.. So the windows 7 x64 clients were using the wrong driver from the server. but the problem is that there are also 32-bit clients who use the printer so they can't use the printer at this moment.. Is there a way to add both drivers to the server and to have no problems? Thanks in advance, I hope you can help me!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 5th, 2011 11:02am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics