Strange Situation
Hello, I have a strange situation. I installed Server 2008 but I need to remove it and install Server 2003. When I ran the installer for Server 2003, the installer did not see a disk to install on. Is this because of a new file system? Could someone help me so that I can install Server 2003? Thanks, Techctzn
May 18th, 2008 12:41am

No, there is not a new file system - it is the same NTFS. Did you boot from your distribution media? Is your 2008 install a 64-bit version and your 2003 a 32-bit version? If you plan on wiping the disk (recommended), you could always boot with WinPE and format the drive before booting off your Windows Server 2003 installation media. tgc
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 19th, 2008 12:38am

Hello, What is the exact error message that you receive during the installation? Have you ever installed Windows Server 2003 on the same machine before? Are you using dual boot system with both Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003? How did you try to install Windows Server 2003, booting from Windows Server 2003 CD or running WINNT32.exe from theWindows Server 2008installation? If you are using WINNT32.exe, please boot directly from Windows Server 2003 CD to see whether it works. The following Microsoft Knowledge Base article describes a Windows XP installation issue on a Vista client. It is similar to the scenario with Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003. 911080 You receive a "Disk read error has occurred" error message when you use the Winnt32.exe program to reinstall Windows XP on a computer that has both Windows XP and Windows Vista installed http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;911080 This issue also might be caused by the reason that the hard disk driver for Windows Server 2003 is not found. Under this scenario, you need to load the related driver during the installation process by pressing F6 to specify additional mass storage device drivers or HAL drivers. Regards, Neo Zhu
May 20th, 2008 7:07am

Hello, Please let us know the appropriate error with out that its bit difficult to understand. The Problem might be from SATA hard disk drivers as well some times or with SCSI drivers. Thanks Syed
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 20th, 2008 9:49am

My guess is that it's a driver issue. The 2008 dvd may have your driver but hte 2003 server may not. Just a guess.
May 21st, 2008 11:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics