Strange Issue Windows Server 2003 Networking
I have been working on a rather odd problem with server 2003. the Box is a sunfire x2200 series and the firmware and software is fully patched. What happens is that I can be remoted into the box and suddenly the connection is dropped. When I try pinging the device i get a reponse. When I go to the console of the server it appears that I can't ping anything. I have found if I complete a repair on the network adapter everything then starts working. I have replaced the NIC, made sure all OS patches are there and even did a constant ping to see what happens. When I look I see that the server stops getting replies until I once again right click and select repair.
May 3rd, 2011 2:54pm

So you replaced the NIC...are you sure you have the updated drivers (from the vendor)? Also, have you ruled out a possible issue with the switch port? If this is a manged switch, you should have logs that you can review for possible issues. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 3rd, 2011 4:51pm

Hi Neakerman29, Thanks for posting here. So is this server multihomed right now? you should disable all unused NICs first. Meanwhile, have you installed any security software (third party firewall, antivirus..etc.) ? Have you patched the latest service pack for this windows server 2003 host ? You should also try temporarily disabling windows firewall and see how is going: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899657 Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
May 5th, 2011 3:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics