Storage migration for virtual machine fails with general access denied error

Hello all,

I have a annoying problem with storage migration.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V and SCVMM 2012 R2, SAN storage, CSV volumes.

Error (12700)
VMM cannot complete the host operation on the <fqdn> server because of the error: Storage migration for virtual machine 'My VM' (78B1982B-69D4-4377-8BA8-C559391797E3) failed with error 'General access denied error' (0x80070005).

Migration did not succeed. Could not start mirror operation for the VHD file 'C:\ClusterStorage\Volume14\VMMDisks\MYVM_disk_1.vhdx' to 'C:\ClusterStorage\Volume6\MYVM_disk_1.vhdx': 'General access denied error'('0x80070005').
Unknown error (0x8001)

Recommended Action
Resolve the host issue and then try the operation again.

This happens only when migrating/moving individual disk/vhdx(allow VHDs to be placed individually) without moving configuration. If moving configuration at the same time with disks everything works just fine. I can even do a live migration from one cluster to another without problems..rtual machine configuration everything works just fine.

July 30th, 2014 1:00pm

I've seen this a couple of times, and every time it was related to AntiVirus on the hosts.

Can you confirm if this is true or false in your case?

Also, see if this is relevant: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/f8765c2e-8aa5-45e1-b208-b2cbdfeee6b6/error-on-live-migration

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 31st, 2014 7:33pm

No I don't have AntiVirus installed on any of the hosts or any other extra software. Only the needed Windows roles and features. And hosts are server core.. (hyper-v, failover clustering, mpio, etc) Also that another thread isn't relevant.

I have two 2012 R2 clusters with the same issue and it's not only one specific VM but all of them. I am thinking of some kind of Active Directory permission issue..

August 1st, 2014 7:12am

I had the same problem.

To work around it, I created a folder with the name of the VM on the CSV and migrated the file to that folder instead of trying to put the file on the root of the CSV.

"C:\ClusterStorage\Volume5\VM-NAME\" instead of "C:\ClusterStorage\Volume5\"

August 7th, 2014 4:21pm

Your solution worked for me. Here is my setup:

- WS 2012 R2 Hyper-V Cluster w/MPIO
- Shared Storage over iSCSI (Synology Rackstation)

August 12th, 2014 12:25am

Hello,

Instead of using the workaround proposed, juste use Kerberos for live migration as explained here.

Worked for me.

December 29th, 2014 1:12pm

I've also found that if Kerberos is not activated then you must be signed into Host Server you want to transfer the VM from. 

As an example in a Cluster with Server1 and Server2 if the VM currently resides on Server2 and you are using the Cluster Manager on Server1 to try and move the VM to CSV you will get the same error.  Logging into Cluster Manager on Server2 and starting the move will allow the move to be completed. 

May 19th, 2015 9:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics