Storage emulator initializing requires admin

Hello.

I have been having some problems running my Azure Storage Emulator (Azure SDK 2.3). Whenever I try to run the command prompt line "WAStorageEmulator.exe" with either "start" or "Init", I get a popup that asks for administrator login. I've been told and have read many blog posts online that say that admin privileges are not required. But the fact that I can't run the command line unless I login as an Administrator contradicts this. And it does seem to be installed correctly as I can run the status command that tells me that it isn't running as well as the left part of a url for Blob, Queue and Table Endpoint.

In Visual Studio 2013, the Development storage option (Server Explorer > Windows Azure > Storage) also requires me to login as an Administrator before I can access the local Development Storage account.

Since I'm not an administrator where I work, this has been something that has been causing a great deal of confusion as a lot of things says that the Storage Emulator does NOT need admin privileges, yet for me, they are.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Edited by Matthew_Eng Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:15 AM made the title a bit more specific
April 24th, 2014 2:14pm

Hi Mattew,

If you want to start, configure azure storage emulator, you must run as the administrator. Please see this page (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/hh403989.aspx ) and this docs( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/gg433132.aspx ).

To configure the storage emulator, you must have administrative privileges on the computer and the initialization process creates a database in LocalDB and reserves HTTP ports for each local storage service. This step requires administrative privileges.

you could set administrative privileges in Windows OS and try it.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Will

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 25th, 2014 8:53am

Hi Will

Thank you for replying to my question.

So from what I'm gathering, to use the Azure Storage Emulator, I HAVE to have administrative privileges at all times?

I can't just use the "Windows Azure Command Prompt" and the command line "WAStorageEmulator.exe start" and expect it to start up with no Administrative Privileges enabled?

Thanks for your time.

Matthew

April 25th, 2014 11:25am

i don't think so. in order to access local resources it needs admin privileges.
April 25th, 2014 5:13pm

The first time you run your emulator, the emulator environment will need to configure itself: it will create a database in LocalDB and it will register some HTTP ports. In order for the configuration process to succeed, you need administrator privilege.

The next time you'll run the storage emulator, you will no longer need administrator privilege.

• Proposed as answer by Mang Alex 12 hours 23 minutes ago
April 25th, 2014 6:20pm

Hi Matthew,

You only need administrative privileges when configuring the storage emulator. The configuration process sets up the permissions that allow a normal user to run the storage emulator. Note that if you have never configured the storage emulator as the current user, it will attempt to auto-configure on startup. Once the configuration process is complete, the emulator with run with normal privileges.

Thanks,

Michael

April 25th, 2014 6:23pm

The first time you run your emulator, the emulator environment will need to configure itself: it will create a database in LocalDB and it will register some HTTP ports. In order for the configuration process to succeed, you need administrator privilege.

The next time you'll run the storage emulator, you will no longer need administrator privilege.

• Proposed as answer by Mang Alex Friday, April 25, 2014 10:21 PM
April 26th, 2014 1:16am

Hi everyone.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Once I can get my IT manager to spare some time, I'll see if I can get the initial set up working first. If I don't need to get the admin to login again afterwards, I'll go ahead and mark the proposed answer as an answer.

Thank you for your time.

Matthew.

April 28th, 2014 3:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics