Storage Monitoring (Folder Level)
Was hoping someone can recommend a good product? Open to free, paid and even just using scripting something via task scheduler. If I create a 100GB volume off the SAN, my SAN software can provide trending reports. Let's say, over 12 months, I can see that I never had to increase the size of that volume. Inside the above volume, sits a VMWare vmdk file of let's say 80GB. Let's say that 80GB vmdk is the D: drive to my Windows 2008 server which houses general data. It started at 0MB used and over 12 months grew to 70GB used. I have Solar Winds that can provide that growth history. What I don't have is a way of figuring out which folders grew that created that 70GB spike over the 12 months. I'd like to know if it was always hovering around 40GB used, if last month suddenly it grew to this 70GB, which folders were the culprit of that 30GB growth. Windows FSRM gives me some insight but doesn't tell me exactly what I need. I could use du.exe (free download) but that would create an ugly txt based output which can be read but would be hard to compare against a run that I did on that from the previous month. Is there any software anyone recommends? I gotta believe a lot of companies struggle with this too, no? Thanks.
January 14th, 2011 5:28pm

As you mentioned FSRM can provide some help using Large Files or Files by File Group. You can schedule a task to create reports monthly so you can compare the difference. I cannot provide third party tools due to policy. Here are some tools provided on Microsoft Technet website which may help: Sysinternals File and Disk Utilities http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545046Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 17th, 2011 4:05am

We use PA Storage Monitor...it needs to be a little more robust but it is highly functional. And a free demo with no strings attached...and AWESOME technical support.
January 19th, 2011 5:20pm

Thanks, I'll take a look!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 2nd, 2011 11:50am

So, what did you end up using to monitor your folder size delta? What feature enhancements would make FSRM the right solution for monitoring your storage usage in this scenario?
June 10th, 2011 2:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics