Storage Enclosure on non-Domain Joined Server
Hyper-V 2012 R2. Is it possible to use a storage enclosure on a non-domain joined server for hyper-v smb storage? We need to place some VM machines and disks on the stroage enclosure and it appears as if you can not do that unless the server is joined to the domain. Can someone confirm?
March 20th, 2015 4:34pm

You generally need to assign domain based accounts to the local administrator group of the storage server, so I don't know how you could do that without it being domain joined.  Even EMC and NetApp storage controllers join the domain when presenting SMB storage.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 20th, 2015 5:33pm

You generally need to assign domain based accounts to the local administrator group of the storage server, so I don't know how you could do that without it being domain joined.  Even EMC and NetApp storage controllers join the domain when presenting SMB storage.

So, i installed the storage enclosure on a 2012 server that was joined to the domain and followed:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134187.aspx

specifically, step 3 & 4. When i create the VM and specify to save the VM and disk to the share, i get:

Basically what the "see details" button shows is the administrator of the domain does not have permissions. Domain administrator has full control on the share (ntfs and share permissions). What am i missing?

March 20th, 2015 6:01pm

OK, i have delegated access to both the server i am using hyper-v manager on and the server that has the storage enclosure installed on. Now i get:

Can someone direct me to a technet article on how to do this?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 20th, 2015 8:07pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics