Stop c00002e2 after DCPromo in Server 2008 x64 on Gigabyte MB
I have the sameproblem that was discussed inhttp://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/42c999b5-0a45-4501-9d69-cd30a6193c21/.After running dcpromo and the required reboot, i get:STOP: c00002e2 Directory Services could not start because of the following error:A device attached to the system is not functioning.Error Status: 0xc0000001.Please shutdown this system and reboot into Directory Services Restore Mode, check the event log for more detailed information. I did as the error message says but could not really find anything indicative in the event logs. I looked up the error messages using err.exe mentioned in a response in the above post. C00002e2 means just what the error message says, "Directory Services could not...". C0000001 means: "The function is not yet implemented".I have the sameGA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard and a SATA Raid1 mirror (on two 160G Seagate drives).I have all the latest 64 bit drivers installed. I installed using a modified WinPE boot cd that had the drivers added to it andalso made sure to load the drivers during the instllation.I did not see any resolution in the above post. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.In the mean time, I'll continue to examine the event log, and possibly try other drivers.
September 20th, 2008 6:11pm

Anyone?Is it possible that installing Hyper-V before DCPromo is the problem? Or is it the AMD Raid1 mirror?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 23rd, 2008 6:01am

Hi customer, If I don't misunderstand, you encounter the blue screen error message on the domain controller which is installed as a Virtual machine based on the Hyper-V physical machine. If so, please check the disk that contains the VHD file of the virtual machine on the host machine to see if there is enough disk space on it. If the disk space is insufficient, this could cause this blue screen issue when we promote the domain controller in the virtual machine. To prevent it, you need to free up some disk space on the physical machine. Afterwards, you may try performing a clean installation of Windows Server 2008, and then rebuild the domain to check if the blue screen issue will re-occur. If the Blue Screen issue still exists, we need to analyze the performance log and system crash dump file to solid locate the root cause. Unfortunately, it is not effective for us to debug the crash dump file here in the forum. Therefore, I would like to suggest that you contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607 Hope it helps. David Shen - MSFT
September 24th, 2008 11:27am

No, the domain controller was the Hyper-V host machine. I had not configured any virtual machines yet.In any case, it is now moot since I decided to delete the new domain controller and re-install Windows Server 2008. I just did DCPromo and have not rebooted yet. Ihave yet to install Hyper-V. I'll report back how it goes.No good. After going to Windows Update and rebooting, I get the same BSOD error:STOP: c00002e2 Directory Services could not start because of the following error:A device attached to the system is not functioning.It must be one of the updates, but I can only boot to Directory Services Restore Mode. I need to somehow back out of updates while in DSR mode.
September 29th, 2008 5:45am

Just an update. The problem seems to be the Sata-Raid driver from AMD. Although certified, it does not correctly support the Sata drives when configured as Sata in the bios. When the drives are set to be ACHI compatible, the system works fine. I just can't use the bios supported Sata Raid.I have Windows Server 2008 x64 Enterprise installed, with Active Directory as secondary DC. I haven't enabled much else yet.
October 16th, 2008 1:59am

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=A780GXE/128M&s=AM2%2bThis is a chipset issue. I don't have the board you guys have; I have AsRock a780gxe/128mb, it has the sb700, and it to REFUSES TO LOAD RAID, i even tried a silicon image and it puked it out, trasffered at like 2mb a second lmao. I tried installing every damn way possible 0,1, 10, ready, jbod; backwards, forwards, sides ways; I even tried linux, and unix; i have yet to find an operating system that this damn raid will work on!!!!! And mine would install the x64 or x86 drivers just fine, and install any damn role i wanted too....except the domain controller. Once promo.exe is ran, there is no getting back into windows; unless you rip the freakin DC out by its throat. I am not lieing when i said i did this like 30 times at least, just with windows. As mentioned above, the only way for it to work is in achi mode sometimes, ide all the time, Raid w/DC zero times. Ubuntu 8.10 recognizes the raid and just like windows, this is reproduceable issue, thinking it will restart. Someone fix this :)!! corrosione@gmail
March 9th, 2009 10:12pm

corrosione - Posted a few seconds ago for got sakes, i just realiezed that this post is 6 months old, and still no fix, and i just bought my mb!!!!!! SIGH!
March 9th, 2009 10:14pm

Yeah, I think I'll buy NVidia next time.
March 14th, 2009 8:12am

I had the same error codes as this. Restored using a system image backup on to new hardware. After rebooting the system was just rebooting over and over again with no blue screen or any information. After hitting F8 and choosing 'Dont reboot at failure' I was able to see the blue screen. I had the following blue screens: STOP: c00002e2 Directory Services could not start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning. - Error Status: 0xc0000001 After about 7 hours of messing around with the system using 'Directory Services Restore Mode', trawling through countless web sites and pages, I couldnt find any further useful information. I noticed that if I renamed the NTDS folder to something else and rebooted, I got the following error: STOP: c00002e2 Directory Services could not stsrt because of the following error: Could not find the file specified - Error Status: 0xc000000f My initial thought was that the system couldnt see the NTDS folder, for some reason related to it being on a different drive. This second error code was a step forward for me, because it proved that the system could actually see the NTDS folder afterall, and it was unlikely to be something to do with the drive letter etc... The windows event log was not particularly helpful at all and none of the AD tools would work, to name a few: DSA.MSC DCDIAG NETDIAG REPADMIN So looking further into the issue, I noticed that the backup I was using to restore from was very old! this was not my initial intention. I thought it was new.... it turns out that the domain controller I was restoring had not been backed up using this method for months. We did have a backup, but only using HP Data Protector, which I wanted to avoid restoring from. Anyway, to cut a long story short. This problem was fixed by setting the date back in time several months, to just after the backup was taken. Once booted successfully, I was able to set the date back to present and everything worked spot on! This domain was a root domain so the accounts didnt really change much. If it was our main domain, someone might have got some serious flack! Hopefully this helps someone! Cheers,
January 19th, 2011 12:47pm

I had the same error codes as this. Restored using a system image backup on to new hardware. After rebooting the system was just rebooting over and over again with no blue screen or any information. After hitting F8 and choosing 'Dont reboot at failure' I was able to see the blue screen. I had the following blue screens: STOP: c00002e2 Directory Services could not start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning. - Error Status: 0xc0000001 After about 7 hours of messing around with the system using 'Directory Services Restore Mode', trawling through countless web sites and pages, I couldnt find any further useful information. I noticed that if I renamed the NTDS folder to something else and rebooted, I got the following error: STOP: c00002e2 Directory Services could not stsrt because of the following error: Could not find the file specified - Error Status: 0xc000000f My initial thought was that the system couldnt see the NTDS folder, for some reason related to it being on a different drive. This second error code was a step forward for me, because it proved that the system could actually see the NTDS folder afterall, and it was unlikely to be something to do with the drive letter etc... The windows event log was not particularly helpful at all and none of the AD tools would work, to name a few: DSA.MSC DCDIAG NETDIAG REPADMIN So looking further into the issue, I noticed that the backup I was using to restore from was very old! this was not my initial intention. I thought it was new.... it turns out that the domain controller I was restoring had not been backed up using this method for months. We did have a backup, but only using HP Data Protector, which I wanted to avoid restoring from. Anyway, to cut a long story short. This problem was fixed by setting the date back in time several months, to just after the backup was taken. Once booted successfully, I was able to set the date back to present and everything worked spot on! This domain was a root domain so the accounts didnt really change much. If it was our main domain, someone might have got some serious flack! Hopefully this helps someone! Cheers, Snake Moore You are my Savior, I was begining to think it was a 2008 R2 issue. Sure enough the tapes were 2 months old, My co-worker had dropped this on my plate, so I had now idea. I feel your pain with HP DataProtector. Stop Errors: c00002e2 Directory services could not start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning Error Status: 0xc0000001 Check the date of the backups. If it is more than a few days from the current date, boot the target machine into bios and change the system date to a day after the backup was made. Then windows should boot.
April 14th, 2011 3:27pm

Thank you very much, I set the CMOS date to a day after the image was taken which was last year and it finally booted with no problem.
May 16th, 2011 11:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics