Step-by-Step Migration DHCP from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2012

I want to migrate my Windows Server 2003 SBS to Windows Server 2012 and now when we look at DHCP it can't use the backup/restore of databases properly

It's all scoping and other details I need to get over. Is there a good desciption for this?

Looking at this http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7411.step-by-step-migration-dhcp-from-windows-server-2003-to-windows-server-2008-r2-with-windows-server-migration-tools-en-us.aspx

didn't help due to that the netsh command doesn't exist, is there any better desciption in how to do this?

September 17th, 2012 4:39pm

Hello,

there is no direct upgrade path from SBS version to regular ones.

I suggest to ask the SBS experts in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/smallbusinessserver/threads about supported options.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 17th, 2012 4:53pm

Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Since the netsh DHCP command-line was replaced by PowerShell in Windows Server 2012, we cannot use it to export the DHCP database and import it to Server 2012. We can use PowerShell to migrate Windows 2008 or R2 DHCP server to Windows 2012. For more information, you may refer to the following article.

Migrating existing DHCP Server deployment to Windows Server 2012 DHCP Failover

http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2012/09/11/migrating-existing-dhcp-server-deployment-to-windows-server-2012-dhcp-failover.aspx

However, this new module is not compatible with all earlier versions, such as Windows 2003. So currently, we cannot directly migrate Windows 2003 DHCP server to Windows Server 2012.

Best Regards,

Aiden

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

September 18th, 2012 9:21am

Hi,

How are things going? I just want to check if the information provided was helpful. If there is any update or concern, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
Aiden

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

September 21st, 2012 4:53am

Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Since the netsh DHCP command-line was replaced by PowerShell in Windows Server 2012, we cannot use it to export the DHCP database and import it to Server 2012.

This is SO un-true. We have migrated our DHCP database from Windows 2003 to a new Windows 2012 server, just by using netsh commands, without any problems.
- Install the DHCP Server role on the new 2012 Server, but don't Authorize it.
- On the Windows 2003 DHCP Server, open CMD and type: netsh dhcp server export C:\dhcp.txt all
- Copy the file to the new 2012 Server (I used C:\)
- On the new 2012 server, open CMD and type: netsh dhcp server import C:\dhcp.txt all
- Done! open dhcpmgmt.msc on 2012 Server, and Voila, there's your scope. Authorize it, stop the old 2003 DHCP service, and you're done.

March 20th, 2013 12:20pm

MpDay is right - I just used his method and it worked flawlessly.
March 26th, 2013 5:18pm

I tried this and am getting this error on the 2012 when i do the import.

TLS supported but not configured

April 24th, 2013 7:15pm

Same issue as buckethead, I suppose that the language is in cause; my 2003 box is in french and my 2012 in English. Here's the message I have:

Error while importing class "Default Routing and Remote Access Class."
This class conflicts with the existing class "Classe de routage et d'accs distant par dfaut." TLS supported but not configured

May 30th, 2013 12:55pm

MpDay, this worked great for me.  Thanks for posting it.
June 11th, 2013 11:39pm

I confirm that exporting/importing between different languages isn't possible.

However, I used "netsh dhcp server dump > C:\dhcp.txt" to export all scopes and reservations and to re-execute on the target server.

June 12th, 2013 8:50am

As an update, many are using the netsh method successfully to migrate. And as an FYI, you can also use PowerShell to do it by installing PowerShell on the 2003 server.

Here are some links explaining different methods that all work:

Step-by-Step Migration DHCP from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 R2 with Windows Server Migration Tools (works for Windows 2012, too)
Involves installing Powershell on the 2003 server.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7411.step-by-step-migration-dhcp-from-windows-server-2003-to-windows-server-2008-r2-with-windows-server-migration-tools.aspx

How to migrate the DHCP service to Windows 2012 (Uses the netsh method)
http://www.happysysadm.com/2013/01/how-to-migrate-dhcp-service-to-windows.html

June 13th, 2013 9:19am

MpDay's suggestion worked for me without errors.
June 14th, 2013 1:16am

I Concur
June 18th, 2013 3:36am

Thanks a lot, MpDay, that did it for me.

July 19th, 2013 3:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics