Static routes Lost and Scope options routes lost on Reboot
We have a problem with serveral windows 7 clients where they will not hold a persisent route after a reboot of the machine. For those same machines they do not pick up Static routes passed from DHCP using option 249 in DHCP scope options. It seems to me that something is causing them to be wiped from the routing tables, as when you do a route print after adding the Persistent route it is there and soon as you reboot it disappears Steve Frost IT Manager LFF Some further Info after testing. It looks as though what is happening is that DHCP Server (on windows 2003) is assinging ip address to my Windows 7 clients the lease is meant to be 6 days, and when you check the lease in DCHP server or the client using IPconfig details look fine. In the routing table all info looks correct lease times and expiry dates all look ok, option 249 (static routes are pulled through). Then when you reboot windows 7 client it gets a new 6 day lease at the reboot time and looses the option 249 static route. for the next 2 days the same happens on Reboot, and then on day 3 (50% of the original leae time) the option 249 comes back again until you reboot again. I am still in the middle of testing this but I thought this might be helpful. It seems to me that windows 7 clients are somehow renewing the lease each reboot without taking all details from DHCP server which causes these routes to be lost until 50% lease time again.
May 2nd, 2012 7:16pm

Did you tried using route add -p command ? Please check if the relevant static route records are in the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip \Parameters\PersistentRoutes http://www.arabitpro.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 2nd, 2012 7:33pm

For a permanant's solution try to put the route in your router. Any good router will send a ICMP redirect, and your client will know the route after. It will be all "transparant"MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
May 2nd, 2012 7:56pm

Thanks, the unusal thing here is that after adding the "persisent route" with admin rights and the -p (If you don't do this it won't be persistent or show in the persistent route table) when you do a route print it shows in the routing table as a persistent route but after a reboot it disappears. I think this is linked to my static route which should be picked up from the DHCP scope but is not. thanks Steve Frost IT Manager LFF
May 3rd, 2012 8:00am

Thanks I understand this but our default gateway(router) is ISA firewall and although it does learn the route from there, when I try to use RDP between my 2 networks if the workstations have to use the ISA firewall to get the route it seems to be very flakey, if I add a persistent route RDP works perfectly. ThanksSteve Frost IT Manager LFF
May 3rd, 2012 12:16pm

If the route don't stay with -p you could automate all that then with a computer startup script with netsh command to add the route or directly the route command. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731521(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_addroute or http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757323(v=ws.10).aspx MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
May 3rd, 2012 11:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics