Stateful DHCPv6 doesn't seem to be working
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I've got a scope setup (and activated) for IPv6, yet it's not being used. My scope is fec0::fffe:0:0:0:1 to fec0::fffe:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff. I have a Windows Vista client requesting its IP (both IPv4 and IPv6) via DHCP. According to Network Monitor, however, Vista is only requesting an IPv4 address. Since I don't have a scope setup for ipv4, it isn't getting one - but it would seem that it's not even requesting an IPv6 address, even though Vista has IPv6 turned on, and set to "Obtain an IPv6 address automatically" TIAA+, Network+, MCP, MCTS:Windows 7 Configuration
August 12th, 2010 2:40pm

Confirm if IPv6 is functioning on Vista, you can ping it from the command prompt using the following command: ping6 -n 5 ::1 You should get 5 successful reply back. IPv6 should be turned on by default. You can confirm that it has not been disabled in the registry. On the Vista box open up the registry and navigate to the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip6\Parameters Make sure that there is no entry for DisabledComponents. This DWORD value if configured is used to disable the IPv6 from the machine. As a test try turning off IPv4 by unchecking it in the network connections and see if Vista will be requesting IPv6. Regards, Tom
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 16th, 2010 4:44am

Oops - forgot about this thread. I had solved it myself actually. It was caused because Vista, by default, does not send out DHCPv6 requests if a Router Solicitation does not come back. I had installed Network Monitor on Vista and found that it was sending Router Solicitations, but no DHCPv6 requests. I had since turned on Managed Address Configuration through netsh. Now it works fine. Thanks for the input though.A+, Network+, MCP, MCTS:Windows 7 Configuration
August 16th, 2010 4:49am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics