Startup Processes in Windows XP
The following processes are running on my kids PC, can someone tell if if these are legitimate processes or are the Spyware/Malware/Adware? C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
February 13th, 2008 11:50pm

Hello, Firstly, I'd like to let you know that all these processes should not be malwares. The first three processes "smss.exe, services.exe, lsass.exe" are normal processes (core system processes). I list the brief description of each of them: Smss.exe: The Session Manager subsystem, which starts the user session. This process is initiated by the system thread and is responsible for various activities, including starting the Winlogon.exe and Csrss.exe services and setting system variables. Services.exe: The Service Control Manager can start, stop, and pause system services. Lsass.exe: The local security authentication (LSA) subsystem server component generates the process that authenticates users for the Winlogon service. The LSA also responds to authentication information received from the Graphical Identification and Authentication (GINA) Msgina.dll component. If authentication is successful, Lsass.exe generates the users access token, which starts the initial shell. Other processes that the user initiates inherit this token. For more details, please refer to: Troubleshooting the Startup Process: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457123.aspx Regarding to the last two processes "LEXBCES.EXE" and "LEXPPS.EXE", based on some researches, I think they may be normal processes either. Both of these two processes belong to Lexmark International Inc, and are used for printing. However, for secure considerations, I'd like suggest that you install some kind of anti-virus software in the computer. I hope this helps. Best regards, Chang Yin Microsoft Online Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 14th, 2008 3:39pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics