Starting a service from a windows network drive gives me an error "The system cannot find the path specified."
Hi,I have a service ina mapped network folder in Win 2003 server. While I am starting this service I am getting "The system cannot find the path specified" error message.Can't we run a service which is present in a network folder? Kindly let me know if there is any way that I can start the service present in a mapped network folder.Thanks
March 23rd, 2009 3:29pm

hi there,the procedure you are doing is wrong, any services should get loaded into the SCM and you need to launch your service using SCM console start -> services --> your service PS : i hope the service is not an user mode app which you are referring. sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 23rd, 2009 6:54pm

Thanks for the reply.Yes I am trying to start the service from Services.msc only. If I select my service and then click start then only I am getting the error message "The system cannot find the path specified". If I copy the service executable to any local folder then this error doesn't appear. I am getting this error only when my service executable is located in a mapped network folder.Any idea what is happening here and how to workaround this?
March 24th, 2009 7:33am

hi there, i havent implemented any time the way you are doing , but as fas as i know it is not a recommended practice.but for test purpose you can tweak the following and testopen regedit --> HKLM --> -->system-->CCS-->services --> "your service" modify the image path / path to network drive and you can test.sainath Windows Driver Development
March 24th, 2009 3:53pm

hi there,did you had a chance to check the above procedure ?sainath Windows Driver Development
March 30th, 2009 2:50pm

I looked at the registry key, it points to the image from the network drive itself. The image path in this reg key is the network path itself. There is something I am missing, is it a windows limitation that service control manager cannot see a network drive? I wrote a simple service and placed it in the network folder and tried to start it, then also I am getting same error "The system cannot find the path specified". Is not there any workaround?
March 30th, 2009 4:25pm

Hi, why you keep the service on a network folder, why not copy it to local computer?Have you set the right permission on the network foler for the user who want to start the service?
March 31st, 2009 9:16am

hi pravin,it is his requirement, and how does it matter giving rights to a folder, its a service which he has developed and he has to embedd the rights into his service.sainath Windows Driver Development
March 31st, 2009 10:01am

Hi, I tried installing the Networking services windows component through add/remove programs, after this I am not the getting the error message "the system cannot find the path specified" instead I am getting the error "Access is denied". I suppose the service account does not have the required permission to access the network folder. Any idea how to modify the service code to provide the authentication to access the network folder? Thanks
April 2nd, 2009 11:21am

Hi L_P,A little progress you have got, congratulations!If you want to modify the service code, I think you need move to MSDN forum.
April 2nd, 2009 12:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics