Sql Express Connection Problem

I have a problem connecting with Sql Express. Here is the setup: 3 machines, all running SqlExpress on XP.Machine 1 is a notebook, and machines 2 and 3 are Tablet PC's. I seem to have all 3 set up identically, and can connect between 1 and 2. However, Machine 3 is the problem. From 1 and 2, I can "see" the instance on 3 but not connect, and from 3, I can "see" the instances on 1 and 2, but not connect.

I have read through the docs and have SqlBrowser on and configured, I turned off the firewall on 3, and have Sql SErver enabled for remote connections on all three machines. I have perused the security settings for Sql on 3 and it appears to be the same as the other two machines. I have matching administrator accounts on all 3 machines.

The connection error is the standard one about can't connect or don't have privileges.

I think this is a network problem and here is why: I used to use machine 3 at work. My employer's IT dept set it up to give me network and internet access. Although I can "see" the SqlExpress services in SSMS, I can't expand the network node using Windows Explorer on machine 3, and I can't access the shared folders on machine 3 from machines 1 and 2.

Is there a networking setting that may be preventing me from connecting to the other machines?

thanks,

Steve

March 24th, 2008 2:52pm

Are you using integrated security for the security settings? Enable mixed mode security, create a sql user account and attempt to connect. Using integrated security for sql and connecting from different machines can be temperamental.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 24th, 2008 5:31pm

I use windows authentication mode when using a connection string from my app. I am not sure what mode SSMS uses. But when I think about it, this problem with SqlServer would not affect the ability to browse the remote machine with Explorer if the problem was Sql Express specific. So I think I am looking for a more global problem, one that affects the entire machine on the network. I may need to find a networking forum and trouble shoot this.

March 25th, 2008 7:16am

If you are able try connecting to the instance using sqlcmd using integrated security. From a command prompt type in

sqlcmd -E -S <servername>. This should connect to the instance using integrated security. If not see what error you get. Also check to see if ports 1433 or 1434 are blocked. SQL listens, by default to 1433 tcp, but also listens 1434 udp. If this is a named instance, <computername>\INSTANCENAME, then the sqlbrowser must be running in order for you to connect.

March 25th, 2008 4:46pm

Does this help?

machine 1 is the laptop, and 2 and 3 are the tablets. 3 is thre problem machine. Using SMSS I can connect between 1 and 2. Here is the result of the sqlcmd -E -S servername\instance. (sqlbrowser is running on all 3 machines and all are enabled for remote connections.

from Machine 1 to 3 : Error locating Server/Instance

from Machine 1 to 2: successful connection

from Machine 2 to 1: Error locating Server/Instance or Party did not respond, HResult 0x274c

from Machine 2 to 3: Error locating Server/Instance

from Machine 3 to 1: Error locating Server/Instance

from Machine 3 to 2: Error locating Server/Instance

thanks,

Steve

March 26th, 2008 4:34am

Steve,

Is this still an issue?

Thanks!

January 18th, 2014 8:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics