Sql Azure Error 40515

Hi everyone,

I'm having problems to cruse connection between a local databse with a Azure database using Linked Server, I recive constantly the Error 40515.

Reference to database and/or server name in 'Database.B.dbo.MyTable' is not supported in this version of SQL Server.

As the error says... is not supported in this version of SQL Server... I tried on SQL 2008 R2 and 2012 but I get the same error. I need to know if this error make reference to my local SQL or to SQL Azure, wich mean that Azure doesn't support this type of connection. 

Thanks.

March 14th, 2014 2:51pm

Hello,

Windows Azure SQL Database does not support four-part names. Three-part name format ( database_name.[schema_name].object_name)  is supported only when the database_name is the current database or the database_name is tempdb and the object_name starts with #.

If you add  Windows Azure SQL Database as linked server on on-premise SQL Server, you should specify the single database name as initial catalog by using SP_addlinkedserver. Please refer to the following blog:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2012/09/19/announcing-updates-to-windows-azure-sql-database.aspx

Regards,
Fanny Liu

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 17th, 2014 2:10pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics