Split TempDB Data file into multiple files

Hey , 

I have been seeing TempDB contention in memory on our SQL server 2012 Enterprise Edition with SP2 and I need to split TempDB Data file into multiple files .

Could someone please help me to verify the following information:

1]

We are on SQL server 2012 Enterprise Edition with service pack2 but as per SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition under CAL Licensing We are limited to use 20 logical processors instead 40 logical processors. Our SQL is configured on NUMA nodes and with the limitation SQL uses only 2 NUMA nodes on live .There are 10 logical CPUs are evenly assigned to each NUMA nodes. Microsoft recommends that if SQL server configured on NUMA node and we have 2 NUMA nodes, then we may add two data files at a time. Please let me know should I add two TempDB data file at a time?

2] We have TempDB Data and log files both on the same Drive of SQL server  .When I split TempDB into two Data files, I can get them on the same Drive .What your recommendation should I need to create TempDB Data files on the same drive or on separate disks?

3] What would be the blackout plan for splitting the tempdb into multiple files? Please let me know if someone has a better back out plan ?

1] Run script that create tempdb Database with a single file

2] Reboot SQL service in order to apply change   

Your help will be apprecited .

Thanks ,

Daizy

March 20th, 2015 1:33pm

Hi, create TempDb on a separate disk is better. More better if is an SSD disk :-)

for more informations you can find a lot of informations here:

http://www.brentozar.com/sql/tempdb-performance-and-configuration/

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/robert_davis/2010/03/05/Breaking-Down-TempDB-Contention/

hope this will help you

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 20th, 2015 2:08pm

What your recommendation should I need to create TempDB Data files on the same drive or on separate disks?

Hello Daizy,

It don't make any sense to create multiple data file for TempDB on the same drive, you won't have any benefit with this.

March 20th, 2015 3:09pm

Although adding multiple tempdb files can have an impact on performance, adding multiple tempdb data files, on the same drive, will not likely have a significant impact on speed of the server.  Creating tempdb files based on CPU count is a myth and should not be done.

What exactly is your issue and what are you seeing?

March 20th, 2015 3:23pm

Hi,

1. I did not get your first question. Its good to add two or 4 data files when you see contention. More than that

1. Enable Trace flag 1118

2. Make sure autogrowth of all tempdb data files are same

3 Make sure they are on separate physical disks otherwise you wont see much benefit

What do you man by Backout plan ?

March 20th, 2015 3:46pm

Tom , I am seeing TempDB contention on Production server when there is a heavily load on sql server . We also experiencing the overall system slowness.Please look at Pagelatch wait statistics on our server ,Please advise .

wait_type waiting_tasks_count wait_time_ms max_wait_time_ms signal_wait_time_ms
PAGELATCH_UP 2680948 3609142 10500 508214
PAGELATCH_SH 1142213 1338451 8609 324538
PAGELATCH_NL 0 0 0 0
PAGELATCH_KP 0 0 0 0
PAGELATCH_EX 44852435 7798192 9886 6108374
PAGELATCH_DT 0 0 0 0

Thanks ,

Daizy

March 20th, 2015 4:08pm

>Microsoft recommends that if SQL server configured on NUMA node and we have 2 NUMA nodes, then we may add two data files at a time.

I know of no such recommendation.

>What your recommendation should I need to create TempDB Data files on the same drive or on separate disks?

For TempDb page latch contention, there is absolutely no reason to put the tempdb files on different disks or on SSD.  Latch contention is entirely in memory.  There is no IO involved.

>What would be the blackout plan for splitting the tempdb into multiple files?

Run a script to remove the additional files.  Then restart SQL.

March 20th, 2015 4:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics