Spell Checking on Short Words FAST ESP

How to validate spell check, other linguistic configuration files

Spell checking does not work on short words

I have looked at the above two KB articles, and implemented spell checking on short words (<3 chars) in the staging environment.

Following the same steps, I have attempted to implement the same configuration to the production environment, however the QRserver on port 15100 only returns suggestions for words with >4 characters (as per default).

If I use this:

matcher -m $FASTSEARCH/etc/config_data/QRServer/webcluster/etc/qrserver/didyoumean/mycustomdictionary.xml

On the production commandline, then I can successfully return suggestions on 3 letter query terms.

It is as if the QRServer is not reading the configuration change from qtf-config.xml as described in the KB article above:

parameter name="simple.en.length.threshold" value="4"  <-- in my case I have set it to "2"

view-admin -m refresh is supposed to cause the qrservers to load the configuration from qtf-config.xml, and it certainly does so in the staging environment but production remains as default in spite of change to qtf-config.xml

Tech Support appears to be unable to help me, perhaps someone has encountered this in the wild?

June 18th, 2013 12:54pm

Have you tried to clear the qrserver cache, and am assuming you are doing the changes in admin node?
i.e.
1. nctrl stop qrserver
2. Clear the qrserver cache by  renaming %FASTSEARCH%\var\qrserver
3. Start qrserver), and try to deploy the views again.

Then you will need to do view-admin -m deploy and view-admin -m refresh
Please note search may be unavailable until the views are refreshed/deployed. Therefore if you have multiple qrservers in the cluster, you might want to do the process on each qrserver at a time, otherwise plan a maintenance window.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 19th, 2013 8:05pm

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply. Clearing the qrserver caches was something I've already tried. But I did try it again for good measure - and I confirmed that the problem remains.

As I mentioned:

matcher -m $FASTSEARCH/etc/config_data/QRServer/webcluster/etc/qrserver/didyoumean/mycustomdictionary.xml

-- gives me the results I expect (i.e. suggestions for query 'xyz'). But issuing a query to the qrserver with the configured view specified only returns matches if the query term is at least 4 chars.

As if parameters in qtf-config.xml are not being obeyed by the views/qrserver.

Is there a way other than view-admin -m refresh/deploy that I can manually force the config parameters to be applied?

June 20th, 2013 11:48am

Could you try to run the query from the qrserver without specifying a view  to double check if its specific to the view i.e.

http://qrserver:15100/cgi-bin/xsearch?offset=0&hits=10&query=<term>&spell=suggest 

June 20th, 2013 8:00pm

Ok - I get no suggestions.

In SBC, I configured this specific view to use my custom dictionary so I believe it's only applied to this specific view. I wouldn't expect to get suggestions from the qrserver with no view specified.

If it helps at all. I have a two node setup with a qrserver running on each node.

Would you recommend exporting this view, deleting it, and reimporting it? The refresh/deploy? Do you think that would cause qtf-config.xml to be obeyed?

June 21st, 2013 1:06pm

Mark,
Sure you can try to import/delete/reimport, and deploy again.
Just to confirm you made the changes of qtf-config.xml in the Admin node, and did the change propagation make it to the remote nodes (the 2 queries running the qrserver)?
For more in detail troubleshooting, I would suggest opening a support case.

June 26th, 2013 7:58pm

Hi Patrick,

That fixed it, thanks.

I exported and then deleted the view using view-admin, refreshed, deployed, and reimported the view from xml, then refreshed and deployed again. Problem solved.

Thanks!

July 1st, 2013 11:19am

Thanks for the update Mark & glad issue was resolved.
July 1st, 2013 11:14pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics