Spatial datatype on SQL azure

Dear all,

I have a local SQL server database which use in one table SpatialData type.

I am actually testing the move of our local DB to azure sql.For that I have generated a Scrip of our curent DB by targetting SQL azure database.

Then when I run that script to creat the db on azure it fails due to the use of SpatialData type.

Is is the case that azure do no support that type or should I generate my script differently ?

regards

August 7th, 2013 11:03am

hi Serge,

Last I heard (about 2 years back) was that SQL Azure now supports spatial data types, I am looking in online documentation for sql azure data type support and spatial data type supported comes up as geometry and geography (pretty much covers entire spatial data)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/ee336233.aspx

I recommend eliminating compatibility issue going to management portal and use the sql editor there and create the table by writing script manually "create table sql statement" and create a dummy table with a spatial data type and see if that works for you.. coz then it must be the script you are running might have issue.... or else you will find out if there is a compatibility issue with sql azure and spatial data type (i doubt it will be a spatial data type support issue)

let us know how it goes

----------------------------------------------

Please mark as answered if it helped

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 7th, 2013 2:04pm

When I check the type of the column directly on SQL azure portal for creating database tehre is new types caaled :

Geometry and Geography as you mention;

Will try to run my script again

August 8th, 2013 4:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics