Sound in Remote Desktop Session stops working

Hello,

I have a sound issue with a 2008 server (32 bit). I'm monitoring the server via an RDP-Session that's up and running 24/7. Sometimes, the audio-output on the Client PC (Win 7 pro, 32 bits too) fells silent. Sound on the ClientPC itself (outside the RDP-Session) is fine, within the Session everything seems to be okay (volume control, Microsoft RDP Audio Device), just there is no sound. If I close the Session and reconnect, sound is back - sometimes for a day, sometimes for a week... Audio in the Console-Session or in other RDP-Sessions at the same time is flawless.

The WAN-Link between the two sites is a bit shabby, but as long as the session itself doesn't break I don't see a reason why a few beeps shouldn't come through.

After searching for a solution for a while now I have found hundreds of threads and solutions for no sound in RDP-Sessions at all, even a MS-Hotfix for shabby sound - but obviously I'm the only guy with such a problem.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks.

June 20th, 2011 7:02am

Hi,

check your eventviewer, there might be some warnings about services that failed to start in a certain amount of time.

We also have this issue on our RDS farm, also USB redirection stops working. It happens about every 48 hours. I've implenmented a reboot script to work around this.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 20th, 2011 7:09am

Hello,

I haven't found any service-starting-related errors/warnings. Only one service that is set to start automatically is not marked as "started" - but I don't think the TPM Base service is connected with my sound-problem...

Maybe a reboot script is my only way out too...

Thanks

June 20th, 2011 8:01am

I am having this same issue on my customers 2008 64bit (non-R2) terminal server as well. They use Windows 2008 Server which was loaded fresh and NEVER had this issue on Windows 2003 server. We too have found that if you disconnect and reconnect it fixed the audio issue. We use all the same hardware to connect to the terminal server as we did when it was a 2003 terminal server. Hopefully Microsoft will take a look at this thread and provide some insight or a hotfix.

While searching the web I did find another forum user with the same issue being reported from about 1.5 years ago and I emailed him to see if the issue was resolved and he too said he was never able to get the issue fixed.

June 21st, 2011 12:53pm

Hi guys,

I'd like to add my voice to this as I too have a client using 5 Windows 2008R2sp1 servers configured in a farm.

I've reproduced this issue on site and seen a user login and get no sound, I've then, from another workstation logged in as that user and stole the session and got sound. The user has then subsequently logged in again and stole the session back and got sound.

This behaviour is totally random and leaves not trace in the Event Logs.

I would dearly love to know what is causing this behaviour.

Regards

June 26th, 2011 9:41pm

Has anyone gotten an answer to this problem?  or have we all just let it go by the wayside.  i have had this issue with 2 of my terminal servers.  one is server 2008 and the other is R2.  both experience the same issue.  sound for a while and then no sound until a reconnect.  or, sound cuts out for short period of time and then comes back.  this occurs when they are checking in items into our database.  they will scan a barcode over the RDP session and when it scanned in correctly you are supposed to hear a noise.  sometimes the noise plays and sometimes it doesn't.  all the database does is call the default windows sound in the system or windows folder.  its so bizzare that the sound cuts out.
August 3rd, 2012 9:31pm

The solution I used was a complete rebuild from scratch and then Sysprep'ed the image and deployed further nodes.
  • Proposed as answer by Crustbusta Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:33 PM
January 10th, 2013 1:33pm

Has anyone a solution to this problem of the sound just dropping out of a RDP connection after a day or two?

Win Server2008 (32 bit)

WIN 7 Clients (32 bit)

Sound is absolutely critical on the WIN7 clients when connecting via RDP to the Server 24/7.

But the sound just stops working on the RDP clients and it takes a restart of the RDP session to restore sound.

I would really appreciate to help with this if anyone has suggestions.

April 10th, 2015 4:14pm

Hi, Did you ever gets fix for this? I am experiencing the same issue with the same hardware/os
April 10th, 2015 4:46pm

Ever get a fix for this problem?
April 10th, 2015 4:48pm

someone must read this....Helllllllllllllp
April 22nd, 2015 3:33pm

Are you talking about audio redirection? If yes,

The following registry subkey can disable the Audio Recording Redirection feature:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp

fDisableAudioCapture REG_DWORD 0 | 1

If either the policy or registry subkey on the Windows 7 Remote desktop computer are set to Disabled, Audio Recording Redirection is not available.

In Windows 7 Enterprise Edition, this registry subey is set to 1 by default. Therefore, Audio Recording Redirection is not available.

In this case it would not help to set the policy value to Enabled. Instead, you must set the subkey to 0.

April 22nd, 2015 10:41pm

Are you talking about audio redirection? If yes,

The following registry subkey can disable the Audio Recording Redirection feature:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp

fDisableAudioCapture REG_DWORD 0 | 1

If either the policy or registry subkey on the Windows 7 Remote desktop computer are set to Disabled, Audio Recording Redirection is not available.

In Windows 7 Enterprise Edition, this registry subey is set to 1 by default. Therefore, Audio Recording Redirection is not available.

In this case it would not help to set the policy value to Enabled. Instead, you must set the subkey to 0.

April 23rd, 2015 12:32pm

All Microsoft updates/patches applied and RDP on clients running latest version 8.1, but low and behold after just over week I get a call to say that the sound has dropped out of the RDP session...Arghhhhh Again I apologise for reviving dead threads but the OP has/had the exact same issue as I am, and I would like to know if a resolution was ever found. Is there a way of contacting users on this site directly?
May 5th, 2015 2:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics