Some settings are managed by your system administrator
In Internet Explorer 7, the Security tab of the Internet Options dialog box displays the following message to indicate that settings are managed by the system administrator: Some settings are managed by your system administratorI am thesystem administrator but don't know how to remove this message"Some settings are managed by your system administrator".Can someone teach me?
March 4th, 2009 9:50am

H, Please try blow: 1. Click Start, type gpedit.msc and press Enter. 2. Locate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer. 3. Double-click Security Zones: Do not allow users to change policies on the right pane 4. Choose Not Configured and click OK. 5. Restart the computer and test the result. You can also delete the registry key Security_HKLM_only under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings directly. If the issue persists, I would like to confirm when this issue began to occur. Have any changes been made on your computer recently? Is your computer in a domain? Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 5th, 2009 5:49am

hi TOHtim is absolutely correct, and i would like to provide you the explanation abou the erroro IE7 "Some settings are managed by your system administrator" With Internet Explorer 6.0 troubleshooting zones could be problematic if the administrator you are working with forgets to inform you that they have implemented "Security Zones: Use only machine settings" via GPO or a direct registry change. Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings Name: Security_HKLM_only Type: REG_DWORD Value: 1 <-Enabled 0 <-Disabled By default the value is not present and thus is disabled by default. With Internet Explorer 7.0 the UI has been updated to reflect the presences of Security_HKLM_only and if the feature is ENABLED. The visual notification is a big win for IE7 troubleshooting. Note the yellow bar at the bottom of the dialog. "Some settings are managed by your system administrator". This is your clue that you are dealing with Security_HKLM_only. The bonus is you can not make modifications to any of the zones, note the Custom level, Default level, and the Reset all zones to default level are grayed out. Clicking the link labeled "settings" brings up the help file with the following: Why won't Windows allow me to change a system setting? If your computer is part of a network at an organization such as a school or a business, your organization's system administrator might have disabled or even removed certain settings by using Group Policy. Group Policy is a feature of Windows that lets system administrators manage users' access to Windows features. If you suspect that Group Policy is preventing you from changing a setting that you need to access, contact your system administrator. For more information about Group Policy settings, visit the Microsoft TechNet (http://technet.microsoft.com) website. LINK: KB182569 Description of Internet Explorer security zones registry entriessainath Windows Driver Development
March 5th, 2009 8:26am

I have the same problemwhich started when I installed IE 8. It is on one computer on aworkgroup network. The 6 computers use MS OneCare administrered in two Circles. I tried Tim's solutionbut the setting was already set to "disabled". My problemappearstwo ways: 1.In IE8, I click on Tools\Internet Options I get a message "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." 2. When I click on Internet Options in Control Panel, I at least see the Internet Properties window but it has the message "Some settings are managed by your system administrator." There is no indication that any of the settings on any of the Tabs are restricted.
April 5th, 2009 6:13pm

hi TOH,when i upgrade my IE 6 to IE 8 , in my internet option always i found the message " Some settings are managed by your system administrator" so i follwed your steps to remove the message but HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows after this i cannot able to find current version under the windows so how i can found security_HKLM_only, tell me how to remove this message.
October 19th, 2009 6:15am

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings] "ProxySettingsPerUser"=dword:00000001 try this
December 8th, 2009 8:12pm

Close.Hi everyone, I had this problem andI managed to solve it !!!!After upgrading Windows XP Protoservice pack 3 and upgrading internet explorer 8 I also couldn't nothing with the annoying announcement "some setting are managed by your system administrator" !!!Well...It goes like thisIngpedit you dont need to enter, its no use.You need to enter RUN - 'REGEDIT'In regedit go to:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control PanelIn control panel you need to change all the keys to 0 !!!Iknow 0 shoulddo disabled but that what I did and it works :DNo restart is needed, just do it and close REGEDITIf somebody want some help you can contact me on - danierlich@gmail.comYours.Computer TechDani Erlich, Israel.
December 16th, 2009 12:23pm

I resolved the problem. But it had nothing to do with IE or Microsoft. I had a setting in SpyBot "Tools", "IE Tweaks" that was blocking access.
December 16th, 2009 10:32pm

I have the same problem but this one is in a company domain. Somehow all the computers have this problem. I can't find it in the group policy, all the settings are set to not configured but still something blocks. Thanks in advance for your help. Kuby
March 26th, 2010 3:24am

Close. Hi everyone, I had this problem and I managed to solve it !!!! After upgrading Windows XP Pro to service pack 3 and upgrading internet explorer 8 I also couldn't nothing with the annoying announcement "some setting are managed by your system administrator" !!! Well... It goes like this In gpedit you dont need to enter, its no use. You need to enter RUN - 'REGEDIT' In regedit go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel In control panel you need to change all the keys to 0 !!! I know 0 should do disabled but that what I did and it works :D No restart is needed, just do it and close REGEDIT If somebody want some help you can contact me on - danierlich@gmail.com Yours. Computer Tech Dani Erlich, Israel. This workt well thanks.....
August 16th, 2010 3:09am

Yes Thanks so much. On my work windows xp sp3 machine that I have administrator rights to, this indeed works. "You need to enter RUN - 'REGEDIT' In regedit go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel In control panel you need to change all the keys to 0 !!! I know 0 should do disabled but that what I did and it works :D No restart is needed, just do it and close REGEDIT" If I only set the advanced tab to zero, I could see the tab and all the settings, but not edit them. I realize that for Microsoft Moderators etc.., that this is a gray area telling someone to change something that possibly a computer policy administration group setup. However: 1. If someone is searching for it, they (myself included) will have a good reason and be tenacious enough to get it resolved, thus withholding information is stifling someones ability to do their job possibly. In my case, I'm a senior software developer and I was granted administrator access, but the tab was missing. I was using Firefox to debug Visual Studio C#... Problem with that was : a: not policy to use firefox b. 99% of users are on IE7 c. Some previous developer wrote prototype ajax code that did not work in firefox and only IE, and for me to place breakpoints in Visual Studio was pointless if I used IE, as IE advanced tab had debugging turned off. Thus this severely impacted the ability to do my job. Without breakpoints and stepping through my code, I might as well be doing PHP or Coldfusion..... ughhh d. If I need to place the code in a batch file and schedule it to run daily in case group policies get pushed daily then that is what I will do. e. Sometimes in order to get our jobs done my have to bend or break the rules... I found out that at work there is an exceptions list, but it will take a least a few weeks or more to get approved etc.. f. It is sad that the Microsoft folks have answers that do not work, or that ask us to ask our sys. admins . Let us the users deal with the fallout of our work or home registry setting changes. Thanks Dani Erilich!
December 28th, 2010 8:35pm

Thank you, it also work on IE8.
February 12th, 2011 5:44am

Yes, I made changes from Workgroup to Domain, from then this does not work. I have Windows 7 Enterprise with SP1 on my machine.
February 28th, 2011 12:56pm

thanks alot it works very well
July 29th, 2011 11:34am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics