Solving Schannel Errors
Hi This is very common Error when you access internet and web sites. You can ignore . Its generated when there is some problem is destination URL. http://www.networksteve.com/exchange/topic.php/Event_Error_of_Source:Schannel_Event_ID:36888/?TopicId=3561&Posts=8 You can disabled them by below mentioned way... FYI, consider on logging options at last. Enable logging Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. Note This registry key is present already in Windows 2000 and XP Professional. Start Registry Editor. To do this, click Start, click Run, type regedt32, and then click OK. Locate the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value: Value Name: EventLogging Data Type: REG_DWORD Note After you add this property, you must give it a value. See the table in the "Logging options" section to obtain the appropriate value for the kind of events that you want to log. Exit Registry Editor. Click Start, click Shut Down, click to select Restart, and then click OK to restart the computer. (Logging does not take effect until after you restart the computer). Logging options The default value for Schannel event logging is 0x0000 in Windows NT Server 4.0, which means that no Schannel events are logged. In Windows 2000 Server and Windows XP Professional, this value is set to 0x0001, which means that error messages are logged. Additionally, you can log multiple events by specifying the hexadecimal value that equates to the logging options that you want. For example, to log error messages (0x0001) and warnings (0x0002), set the value to 0x0003. Collapse this tableExpand this table Value Description 0x0000 Do not log 0x0001 Log error messages 0x0002 Log warnings 0x0004 Log informational and success event Regards Suman B. Singh
July 29th, 2011 9:40am

Id you Uncheck those options lots of web based Mail services may not work..Regards Suman B. Singh
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 29th, 2011 9:41am

I made the IE changes, but as I suspected it didn't help. Since the systems involved are servers IE is rarely used on them. THe information in the other links I had already come across but the suggestions didn't help.
July 29th, 2011 1:10pm

I'm getting Schannel errors on several different 2008R2 servers. I'm getting different types on different servers, which probably means there are different causes. However, after number google searches I haven't been able to find a solution to any of them. Most of the explanations imply there's some sort of certificate problem, or at least something involving SSL/TLS settings. On my Exchange and SharePoint servers, the Schannel event ID is normally 36888 with the following text: "The following fatal alert was generated: 10. The internal error state is 1203." On my two DC's, the Schannel event ID is normall 36887 with the following text: "The following fatal alert was received: 48." From the number of hits I'm getting on this topic it appears that lots of people are getting them. Does anyone have a suggestion how to resolve them? The servers appear to be functioning properly so I'm tempted just to ignore them, but they're so prevalent it does make me worry a bit. Thanks!
July 29th, 2011 2:25pm

Hi, Schannel error usually indicates this error was SSL/TLS problem. Schannel uses TLS for security encryption. As long as the sites you visit do not use TLS. I suggest to perform these steps below: 1. Open Internet Explorer. 2. Click Tools. 3. Click Internet Options. 4. Click Advanced tab. 5. Scroll down the list under Security, uncheck all the Use TLS options. 6. Click OK. For more troubleshooting information, please refer to the following links: Event ID 36888 Source Schannel http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=36888&eventno=10545&source=Schannel&phase=1 Event ID 36887 Source Schannel http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=36887&eventno=10676&source=Schannel&phase=1 Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 30th, 2011 4:10am

Hi, Can you collect MPS reports and send email to : blrforum-at-microsoft-com (remove '-') I'll send you SFTP workspace info to upload the data. Thanks.Ketan Thakkar | Microsoft Online Community Support
August 4th, 2011 11:34am

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 14th, 2011 11:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics