Software Restriction Policy not allowing Program Files directory on 64-bit machines

I've created a new software restriction policy, my default security level is set to "Disallowed", I have the standard built-in allowed locations:

%HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRoot%

%HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir%

and I added another exemption for the C:\Program Files (x86) directory:

%HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir (x86)%

However, on my 64-bit machines, there are still programs being blocked in C:\Program Files:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX64\OfficeC2RClient.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\Root\Office15\MsoSync.exe

These same programs are not being blocked on my 32-bit machines, but the same policy is being applied to both and the programs are installed in the same locations on both.

I checked the registry on one of the 64-bit machines, and the default registry key exemption specified above:

%HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir%

does exist on the 64-bit machine and it is set to C:\Program Files, exactly like the 32-bit machines. So why are programs still being blocked h

February 13th, 2015 6:28pm

Hi Shaun,

>>on my 64-bit machines, there are still programs being blocked in C:\Program Files:

Before going further, are all the applications under the path not able to run or just some ones? Besides, when we run the applications mentioned above, did it tip that it's blocked by group policy? Here, we can run command gpresult/h gpreport.html with administrative privileges to collect group policy result report to check if this is caused by some other GPOs.

Best regards,

Fran

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 16th, 2015 3:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics