Smart card logon with third-party certification authorities
Hi all, I wat to use smart card logon based on certificates from third party. No CA is in my Active directory environment. Following thos articles. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281245 http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3824.updated-requirements-for-a-windows-server-2008-r2-domain-controller-certificate-from-a-3rd-party-ca.aspx In what way should I genereate CSR file for my domain controller? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291010 If I use MMC/Certificates and create "Custom request" there is no option to fill Certificate Template Name - DomainController. "The certificate template must have an extension with the BMP data value "DomainController". What's the best way to create .csr for my domain controller?
September 12th, 2012 8:54am

Ok. Thanx.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 12th, 2012 8:57am

There is another problem with your scenario. What "third-party" CA do you want to use? Is it any "normal" public SSL/TLS CA? Are you sure that the public CA will issue the certificate for your domain controller? The domain controller certificate is not a standard "server certificate" as the public CAs call it usually. The certificate is special in that it must contain one of the three things that you already mentioned: the OID for KDC Authentication (1.3.6.1.5.2.3.5) the presence of the Template Name DomainController in the certificate (all flavors of MS CAs stamp this on certificates if it is a part of the request) the OID for SmartcardLogon (1.3.6.1.4.1.311.20.2.2) The requirements mean that the CA would have to include either KDC Authentication or SmartCardLogon OID into the Enhanced Key Usage of the issued certificate. I doubt that the public CA would add the CertificateTemplate extension at all. Although you can create a request that contain the SmartCardLogon or KDCAuthentication OID/s and submit such a request to the authority, I doubt any public CA that issues standard SSL/TLS web server certificates would include them anyway. Public CAs just take the request, ignore everything except for the public key, create a certficate with whatever fields they want themselves (Server Authentication and Client Authentication usually). So unless you are first sure that they issue certificates with SmartCardLogon and/or KDCAuthentication OIDs, you should consider your internal CA instead. ondrej.
September 12th, 2012 12:55pm

Ahoj Ondrej :) The third-party CA is our foreign company partner. They have already build up its own MS CA (and SUB CA) and it's trusted for our domain (but domains are not trusted ). The "problem" is that they can't publish certificate for our DC online, so I have to send them CSR. the OID for KDC Authentication (1.3.6.1.5.2.3.5) the presence of the Template Name DomainController in the certificate (all flavors of MS CAs stamp this on certificates if it is a part of the request) the OID for SmartcardLogon (1.3.6.1.4.1.311.20.2.2) If one of these is present in the certificate, the KDC will consider it potentially usable as a DC certificate capable of servicing smartcard logons (if it also passes revocation checks). So if I have KDC Authentication included in DC certificate no other conditions (Template name or SmarecardLogon) have to be accomplished?
September 12th, 2012 1:23pm

Thanx Ondrej. Firstly I will try to generate .CSR file without Certificate template name. Your B) sollution looks also friendly. That would be second try. I let you know. Tomas
September 13th, 2012 3:01am

pokud chcete kdyztak mluvit cesky, tak mam email ondrej zavinac sevecek tecka com o.
September 13th, 2012 4:56am

Hi Tomas, As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will mark it as Answered as the information provided should be helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish. BTW, wed love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts. Best Regards Kevin TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.
September 16th, 2012 11:33pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics