Smart Card on Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller
I had Windows 2003 domain controllers (DCs) and XP and Vista clients. I had enabled the cryptographic logon (CLO) using the common access card (CAC) smart card and was successful and working fine. Then I upgraded my domain to Windows 2008 R2 DCs and Windows 7 clients and now the CLO is having an issue. The error says: "The system could not log you on. You cannot use a smart card to log on because smart card log on is not supported for your user account.” I have a test account using CAC UPN and I enabled smart card is required for interactive logon meaning it is locked down for smart card only. Rebooted the DC and the client, but the error persists. I also followed the Guidelines for enabling smart card logon with third-party certification authorities http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281245 suggested by Joson Zhou, MSFT Moderator. Any help is highly appreciated.
June 22nd, 2010 1:57am

Hello DalaiLama, Two quick questions - a) What is the Enhanced Key Usage listed on the Smart Card's certificate? b) Is this before or after the prompt for your PIN? follow up question to that - does it prompt for a PIN? Best, Pat
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2010 12:04am

Hello Pat, a) Where can I find the EKU in my smart card? b) This eror is before the prompt for my PIN. V/r, Dalailama
July 20th, 2010 1:53am

Hi Pat, The EKU are Smart Card Logon, Client Authentication and Secure Email. v/r, DalaiLama
July 20th, 2010 2:04am

Hi, just a quick question. Does the new DC have the Domain Controller Authentication (or Domain Controller) certificate deployed to them? Make shure these certificates are autoenrolled to you'r new DC's. Also the certificate of the issuing entity of you'r smart card certificate has to recide in the "Intermediate Certification Authorities" store on the client. Regards Morten
July 20th, 2010 10:14am

Hi Morten, I added the DC cert and it worked. Thanks. v/r, DalaiLama
July 21st, 2010 11:29pm

Glad you got it sorted :)
July 22nd, 2010 6:49pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics