Smart Card Reader and Smart Cards
Can anyone suggest a brand of smart card reader that I can use with Certificate Lifecycle Manager 2007 (or the FIM equivalent)? I just need one for a lab environment to evaluate the enrolment process. Also, with regard to the smart card itself, how much memory should the card have if I'm just using it to test smart card logon in a Windows environment? I should also add that this will be a personal purchase, so cost will be a factor! Many thanks, Steven Griffiths
April 25th, 2011 3:14pm

Steve, You first need to decide on CLM or FIM CM (as they support different versions of middleware). For the smart card management, it is more of a story of what middleware/smart card combination will work best for you. Here is the supported middleware for FIM CM 2010 · Axalto Client Software (ACS) v 5.4 · AET SafeSign Identity Client v2.3 · Aladdin eToken 5.0 32-bit · Gemalto Classic Client v5.1.8 · Siemens HiPath SIcurity Card API v3.2 · Microsoft Base Smart Card CSP v5 You can choose any smart cards that support this middleware. WIth the Microsoft Base CSP, you do not need additional middleware, as the base CSP is included as part of Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (You only need to download the mini-driver for the selected smartcard). For the java-based card middleware, you will need to purchase both smart cards and middleware. Generally the price is about the same (base CSP cards are roughly the price of middleware + card combinations for java-based cards. You may be able to obtain eval software and cards from some vendors if you state you want to evaluate the cards/middleware for use with FIM CM. Brian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 25th, 2011 5:09pm

Brian, We have HID Crescendo C700 series smart cards and C700 middleware. Have there been any updates to what middleware is supported by FIM CM 2010? Thanks Jeff
July 17th, 2012 3:51pm

Not that I am aware of See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee534893%28v=ws.10%29.aspx Look under supported middleware No real changes in FIM CM 2010 R2 other than bug fixes Brian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 17th, 2012 10:16pm

Thanks Brian. One more question and I think I will have enough info to help my client. Once we have the correct middleware, is it just a matter of installing it or are there configurations and setups that need to be accomplished with it? Thanks for all your insight. Jeff
July 18th, 2012 2:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics