Slow outlook 2013 using large office 365 mailbox in terminal server environment - Windows search edb file size

Hi all, we have this issue on multiple servers:

Customers with their own local terminal servers (15 users, RDP to a server sessio) that have office 365 mailboxes are having issues with the windows search EDB file where it becomes HUGE (80+gbs).

Reason for this is because all these users have large ost files in which they share the same shared mailboxes (site specific for example) and there goes something wrong with the windows search index database file.

Temporarly we solve this by deleting and rebuilding the search index but in mere weeks the database edb file itself is back consuming a lot of space.

We CAN NOT AFFORD to work in ONLINE mode of outlook: the whole experience for end user is horrible. the outlook clients just react real slow because you're constantly working in mailboxes of sizes larger than 20gbs combined. So we managed to cache it for one month. 

is there any permanent fix to tihs, how can we make our outlook mailboxes work fine on this terminal server without caching? the experience is horrible if we don't cache.

edit: we tried a lot of stuff, archiving, hardware accelerations, ...
  • Edited by AJ_BE 18 hours 8 minutes ago
May 20th, 2015 2:43pm

hey thanks for replying, problem is still not solved. i did make a functioning script maybe you can use it as a starting point for your environment?

i just let the script run every few weeks and it'll check if the size overexceeds a certain treshold.

#Author: AJ_BE
If ( (Get-ChildItem -Path C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb).lenght -gt 30GB ){

#Stop Windows Search service
    Stop-Service wsearch
    Start-Sleep -Seconds 3

#Delete index
    Get-ChildItem -Path C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb | Remove-Item -Force
    Start-Sleep -Seconds 3

#Start Windows Search Service
    Start-Service wsearch
    Start-Sleep -5
} else {
    #do nothing
}

• Edited by AJ_BE 18 hours 7 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 12th, 2015 8:20am

Hi Kristin,

I am facing the same Problem with a Customer using Windows Server 2012 R2 as Terminal Server and 30 Mailboxes wirth ost Files from Office 365.

Please inform us as soon as you have any Information about your suspect with corrupt ost Files.

To Microsoft: Please take that Case seriously as I am sure there are several more customers affected by this and not anly a solution for Server 2012 should be presented!

June 21st, 2015 2:01pm

Hi,

Exactly the same issue here. Windows 2012 R2 used as TS for Outlook 2013 and Office 365 mailboxes. 15 users.

Windows.edb is 690 GB. We had the same situation 6 weeks ago. We rebuilt the index and everything was then OK. What is strange is that this server has been running fine for the last 18 months or so, and suddenly we face this issue ???

June 26th, 2015 8:31am

Folks,

Please contact me offline - I want to test a theory and I want your help - it may solve your oissue too.  Once we know it does, then we can repost here with a workaround / solution.

IN fact, ANYONE who has this issue, please contact me at:

kristin.l.griffin AT gmail.com

June 26th, 2015 12:59pm

XMI28, contact me offline please  at: kristin.l.griffin AT gmail.com

T

June 26th, 2015 12:59pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics