Slow map of drive and initial viewing of mapped drive between xp and 2008r2
I am building a brand new Windows 2008r2 network. I currently have only one user setup to test, so no traffic is present. I am cutting over from Novell 6.5 so I login and the PC logs into Novell and MS Active Directory fine. It maps a letter to a share on a second 2008r2 server that is in the domain. If I go into Windows explorer there will be a lag time of 30 seconds to a minute after the system is completely logged in before it maps the letter. If I then click on the letter it will show the hourglass for 1-2 minutes before refreshing and showing the only foder on the drive. I can then move around in the folder and even copy to it with decent speed. I patched it to make sure it is up to date. I looked up some slow issues through searches and have tried a few things like making sure the DNS looks right and setting: netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled What am I missing? Thanks for your help.
June 25th, 2010 7:46am

Can I ask how your mapping your drive? The reason I ask is I want to see what your using to reference the server. Are you using the FQDN of the Server in the UNC path? eg. \\myserver.mydomain.com\myshare, or just \\myserver\myshare? If the later, is your domain in your DNS search path? We don't want to rely on WINS to lookup the server name when you've got a fully functioning DNS environment.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2010 9:23am

Hello, check this article from Ace Fekay about known problems: http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/08/20/tcp-chimney-and-rss-features-may-cause-slow-file-transfers-or-cause-connectivity-problems.aspxBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 25th, 2010 11:03am

Well, I tried the suggestions and nothing is working. I have been able to notice more about what is happening today however. I seems that if I leave the explorer window alone for 20 minutes it takes a few moments to wake back up again. Once I am drilling down through the folders it keeps up at a quick clip. Is that any clue? Here's what I've done so far: 1.I did the netsh commands from the FeKay artical before 2. I tried using the FQDN of the server to map it.(I use a VBA Script by the way if it matters) 3. I added a mapping to the main server to see whether it was only the one server and it is not. 4. I turned off Windows Firewall on the servers and my workstation. 5. I double checked to make sure all the subnets involved were included and attached to the site where the servers are.
June 25th, 2010 11:22pm

Hi OTS Tech , Please check if access shared folder normally with the following troubleshooting methods: 1. mapping share folder with “mapping network drive” of windows explorer instate of script 2. clean boot server in safe mode with network connection 3. disable any anti-virus software on client and server please post any event log of client and server side which related with this issue. Also please Collect the Netmon trace ========================= a. Download NetMon3.4 from the following website and install it on client. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f b. Launch NetMon3.4. c. In the Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 window, click Create a new capture tab … d. In the new tab, select all the Network Adapters in the Select Networks window. e. Then, switch to Network Monitor, press F5 to start NetMon. f. Try to access shared folder and transfer data again. When it completes, go to step g. g. Go back to the NetMon window and press F7 to stop the NetMon. h. Press Ctrl+S to save the Netmon file named test. Then please upload to SkyDrive (www.skydrive.live.com ) and share the link to me. Thanks. Tiger Li PS: On July 1st we will be making Windows Server 2008 R2 General forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum. Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 28th, 2010 6:59am

I was on holiday much of last week, but I have done some more testing today. While it appears to happen to all the machines I've tested so far, it only happens in the windows explorer. WHen I open a dos prompt window, I can change to the drive and instantly start moving around in the folders. It is almost like it is trying to build some kind of view or thumbnail or info. Does this help at all. I am going to try the net mon thing next. Thanks for all your help. If it weren't for this, I'd be able to start rolling this out to test people.
July 6th, 2010 9:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics