Slow image capture to WDS
I have Windows 2003 with WDS installed and we are using it to capture Windows XP Pro images from various makes of PCs. Two NEC machines image just fine, but I have a Stone System 211 PC which is very very very slow to image, it takes ages to Connect to the WDS server (good 5 mins), and then takes hours and hours to image the PC (approx 10GB). I left it over night, it did just 10% in 16 hours! What is wrong with it? I has done just 2% in 45 mins this morning :(I has Dual 2 Core processors, Intel Gigabit network card (82566DC), Intel DG965 chipset, Radeon X1550graphics card (it should be faster than the NECs)!Would disk corruption cause it? I have used PowerQuest Image Deploy Center and that works just fine. But with WDS it is mega slow! Any ideas?
June 6th, 2008 11:44am

You may want to look at the NIC driver versionthat is held within your boot image, which initiates the [main] image download. It could be that the driver is not performing optimally and an updated one may need to be injected into the boot.wim.You can injecta newdriver using PEIMG /inf:<drivername> after you have mounted the boot.wim with imagex. Then reload that new boot image with the updated driver back into WDS.-Stuart Hudman
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 11th, 2008 1:53am

I don't think its the network card, I decided to boot from a Windows PE disk with ImageX.exe on it, and capture it manually just toa seperate partition its own hard disk. I am not capturing it to a WDS server.So far its done 5% in 4 hours - which is about 150MB of a 30GB C: drive partition - now that is slowwww...Any further ideas?
June 23rd, 2008 6:08pm

I still have issues with client PCs with Intel 82566 network cards (e1e5132) and WDS. They takes ages to Connect, takes ages to upload and download images from WDS servers. Other PCs with Realtek network cards work just fine at full speed with WDS.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2008 11:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics