Slow file browing response from XP to Windows Server 2008 R2
Hello, you may review the great article from Ace Fekay about known problems and solutions: http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/08/20/tcp-chimney-and-rss-features-may-cause-slow-file-transfers-or-cause-connectivity-problems.aspxBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
August 14th, 2011 8:18am

Hi Guys, Hi am face a very strange problem on a newly setup server with new powerful HP server and 08R2 to replace a old file server. I duplicated everything from old server to new server, create exactly identical file sharing folder on the new one. After that I even swap the hostname for new and old file server. The solution seems very simple and working. However, the file listing response time is very SLOW, much slower then the old server with windows 2k3r2 32bit. More in-depth detail show blow. Server Side Config: o Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1(File Server and Backup Server) with Updates. o 12GB Ram o SEP 11 client installed o 5.76TB space for file server and backup purpose. o 2 x 1GBE NICs are teamed as Active-Standby for fault tolerance. o 2 share folders 1. \\fsvr01\share_drive\ for all user are able to access this share. 2. \\fsvr01\users_folders\ for Desktop and My Document folder redirection for each domain user. o All general domain users are enabled folder redirection for their “Desktop” and “My Documents” directories in GPO.  Client Side Info: o Microsoft Windows XP SP3 with Updates. o Mainly HP and Dell C2D or some new i5 class CPU o 4GB Ram o SEP 11 client installed  Symptom o User reported slow while listing or browning in the shared folder and redirected “Desktop” and “My Documents” o Response time will be much longer when opening directories with contained large number of subdirectories inside. o Suspected the compatibility issue between File Server Feature in Windows 2008 R2 and Windows XP client. o all 100+ XP pc need to wait around atleast 5 seconds to complete show a list for each folder in the file explorer. o all Windows 7 PC no such problem. Siutat
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 14th, 2011 11:56am

I suspected the SMB2 issue, however I apply the action below, Run "regedit" on Windows Server 2008 based computer. Expand and locate the sub tree as follows. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters Add a new REG_DWORD key with the name of "Smb2" (without quotation mark) Value name: Smb2 Value type: REG_DWORD 0 = disabled 1 = enabled Set the value to 0 to disable SMB 2.0, or set it to 1 to re-enable SMB 2.0. Reboot the server. But, It didn't help. Siutat
August 14th, 2011 12:01pm

Hi, anyone has idea?
August 14th, 2011 10:45pm

Thanks for anwsering! We've finally found the issue of Symantec Endpoint Protection version 11.0.6.xxxx We tried to disabled the virus realtime scan, the response time much faster! Then, we upgraded the SEP to 11.0.7.xxx. The issue is gone!
August 15th, 2011 1:53am

you may try going into the network adapter driver properties and DISABLE "TCP Connection Offload (IPv4)". This is generally listed on the advanced tab of the network adapter.http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
August 15th, 2011 3:49am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics